cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 61 of 64

Re: I have been charged £30 to cease my broadband!

The problem is is that people are making stuff up they think sounds probable. You have 10 days to cancel after the price increase, and cancelling involves a £30 cancellation charge. Thats it, the mods mods confirmed that clearly.

People are making up that there's a clause that says BT will wait for another provider to take over the line using a mac code, even though it normally takes over ten days. There isn't this clause.

You can cancel within ten days with a £30 openreach charge. If another provider instead takes over the line 14 days later you will get a cancellation charge for the contract, as it wasn't cancelled within 10 days (asking for a mac code is not a cancellation request). I don't agree with it, but it's how every provider works and there will be 2013 price rises from all of them
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 62 of 64

The problem is is that people are making stuff up they think sounds probable.

So, based on the above, can a mod/admin or anyone employed by BT clarify exactly what the score is with this (in plain english so I get it) and correct me where I'm wrong

You have 10 days to cancel after the price increase

No, you have 10 days from when you recieve the notification (by post or email)

and cancelling involves a £30 cancellation charge. Thats it, the mods mods confirmed that clearly.

No, Sean wrote that IF a MAC was used, then the £30 can be avoided. Here's what Sean wrote

There is a clause in your contract that if BT make any changes to our terms and conditions which leaves you worse off, like a price change, then any contract related charges will be waived, provided you notify us of your wish to cease your service within 10 days of receiving your notification.

The broadband cease charge will be applied to any customer completely ceasing their broadband service without using the MAC process.  This charge can be avoided if you request a MAC from BT and transfer your service to a different supplier using that MAC.

Ok, so it looks like I got the waived bit wrong (when I wrote nothing was waived), but my understanding is any charges that would of due for the remainder of the contracts are not going to be charged, only after you notify BT with in 10 days of your intension to leave due to the price increase.

Plus if you ask for a MAC code and make use of it, there is no £30 charge

Regarding the cease charge

This charge will be raised should you :-

1. Switch to another Broadband provider without following the standard MAC process
  2. Switch to another Broadband provider without following another recognised transfer process, when it applies.
  3. Switch to a Cable provider.
  4. Cease your Broadband completely.
  5. Cease your Broadband and move outside of the UK.

This charge will not be raised should you :-

1. Move home and you re-connect to BT Total Broadband via the homemover process.
  2. Move home and we are unable to provide the service at your new UK address.
  3. You are ceasing service due to bereavement or severe illness.

See this link for the BB cease charge - http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

The info that Sean gave regarding the need to use a MAC code is NOT on the link I gave earlier, so this is unclear IMHO and the link should be corrected to tell a customer that a MAC code would be needed.

Here's the link for reference - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35832/761,2072,2098

People are making up that there's a clause that says BT will wait for another provider to take over the line using a mac code, even though it normally takes over ten days. There isn't this clause.

Where did anyone post that? I must of missed this:(

You can cancel within ten days with a £30 openreach charge.

Not if you use a MAC code

If another provider instead takes over the line 14 days later you will get a cancellation charge for the contract,

Once you leave BT, after giving a new ISP the MAC code, why would BT be bothered how long it takes your new ISP to contact OR (if they're needed)?

as it wasn't cancelled within 10 days (asking for a mac code is not a cancellation request). I don't agree with it, but it's how every provider works and there will be 2013 price rises from all of them

They all normally do:(, though I've not looked around yet;).

To throw another cat in to this.....

Changing the terms (notification)

1. Sometimes, we will need to change the charges or the terms and conditions of a service covered by this agreement. We will publish details of all changes online at www.bt.com.
  2. We will also let you know about a price increase or a change to the terms and conditions that we believe is likely to cause you material disadvantage at least one month before it happens. We will do this in writing (which may include by letter, email, with your bill or by any other permitted method). We will let you know about other changes to prices and our terms and conditions with your next available bill or by an alternative method if this is simpler.
  3. Sometimes we may need to make changes to our charges or the terms and conditions of a service which are outside of our control – for example to meet legal, regulatory or financial requirements. If we need to make changes for these reasons, we will let you know as soon as we can, but we will not have to meet the timescales detailed in paragraph 50, and you will not be able to end any affected service early without charge.
  4. Except in the circumstances detailed in paragraph 51, if we let you know about a change to the price or the terms and conditions of a service which is to your material disadvantage, you will not have to pay a charge if you decide to end that service early, unless the Tariff Guide says otherwise. However, once we have told you about such a change, using one of the methods detailed in paragraph 50, you must let us know within 10 days that you want to end that service by giving us the written notice set out in paragraph 21. Only the services that are directly affected by the changes we make can be ended without paying an early termination charge for that service and this agreement will continue to apply to any other services that are not affected by those changes.

taken from - http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...

section 52 states we need to put it in writing:o and only the directly affected services can be ended.....

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 63 of 64

As this has dragged on further I'll have my last two penn'orth, though I don't have the will to read the thread all over again.

Two distinct charges are involved: a penaty charge for terminating a minimum-period contract early, and a cease charge for stopping a broadband service without a MAC code. There was never any doubt that the penalty charge would be waived under the 10-day price increase rule, but there was a question as to whether this waiver extended to the cease charge if the customer did not transfer their service with a MAC code. My reading of the T&C as a whole was that a customer liable for a cease charge would not be exempt from it simply because they qualified for waiver of the penalty charge under the 10-day rule. I thought Sean confirmed that opinion in Message 50, but alas there now seem to be different interpretations of his interpretation. I see no reason not to stick with mine.

Goodnight!

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 64 of 64

Hi Guys,

I’m locking this thread as it’s getting a little out of hand. Just to clarify As Sean has already pointed out,

There is a clause in your contract that if BT make any changes to our terms and conditions which leaves you worse off, like a price change, then any contract related charges will be waived, provided you notify us of your wish to cease your service within 10 days of receiving your notification.
The broadband cease charge will be applied to any customer completely ceasing their broadband service without using the MAC process. This charge can be avoided if you request a MAC from BT and transfer your service to a different supplier using that MAC.
Cheers

David