cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 42

Re: I have been told I have a bridge trap on my line, so how can I get an engineer out to have a loo

@john46 wrote:

you must have money to burn you might as well throw
130.00 on a fire  remember speeds are sold as up to speeds not  you get full speed 

..... or send it to a charity, you might see one in my avatar.

0 Ratings
Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 32 of 42

Re: I have been told I have a bridge trap on my line, so how can I get an engineer out to have a loo

@galabonnyboy wrote:

I would hope that if there was a bridged tap that my speeds may sync at 80/20 and thus I get what I pay for and that when I download large GB files, e.g Games on xbox, updates etc

Hi.

One thing is for sure, unless you're in a lab with conditions set, you are not going to get 80/20.

Even if you are very close to the fibre cabinet, and your wires are only a few meters long into it - you would do well to get 76/19

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 33 of 42

good point GG
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 42

saving a few seconds is not worth it you can still only download at the speed the server is set at
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 42

@galabonnyboy wrote:

That’s a different situation though, If I want to download a large file e.g 50GB for an Xbox game. I would like to play that game as quickly as possible, so by gaining extra speed it is worth it to me.

A 50GB file will take 13 seconds longer at 69 Mbs than it will at 79 Mbs. 1 minute 43secs instead of 1 minute 30 secs.

0 Ratings
galabonnyboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 36 of 42

@Andy_N Well thats odd then that there a number of people on MyDSLWebStats with high attenuations that are syncing at 80/20.

@john46 Well I am sure Microosft servers can upload over 200Mpbs so I am sure it can reach 76mbps

john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 42

Pointless saying any more enjoy wasting your money and the engineers time if you get one
0 Ratings
galabonnyboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 38 of 42

Will do john, cheers

Andy_N
Distinguished Guru
Message 39 of 42

@galabonnyboy wrote:

@Andy_N Well thats odd then that there a number of people on MyDSLWebStats with high attenuations that are syncing at 80/20.

Syncing is not the same as down/up speed. Are those people actually getting the speeds the sync implies ? What service are they on ?

0 Ratings
galabonnyboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 40 of 42

I got an engineer to fix my bridge tap fault today.

My upload has went from 18mb to 20mb with an attainable rate of 22mb.

My download has went from 65mb to 71mb, and the attainable is still rising.

My attenuation went from 19.7 to 17.2, so that’s a huge decrease.

The biggest fix, is I haven’t got any ES yet whereas before I had a fair amount every 10 minutes.

For anyone wanting to see the before and after, see my stats on MyDSLWebstats, username: GaZaai

It turns out there was a bridge tap at the pole, with both pairs of wires connected to each other. (Orange and white connected to green and black as well)

Just posted this to let other users know that the mods can be wrong on things like this. Looks like I didn’t have to burn the £100 😉