cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TMPL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 32

I have found a BT mobile phone - how do I find the owner?

Hey all,

I have found a BT mobile phone - the battery died, so I can't search the contacts to look for any numbers to call, as the phone is asking for a pin code, once recharged.

It's an iPhone 4 or 4S.

I am happy sending it back only to the owner. There is picture on the screen that pops up - the owner should be able at least to describe what's on the picture, not to mention sending a copy of it - just to verify the ownership.

It's a good looking girl on the pic, so I guess the phone belongs to her boyfriend/husbend/lover or whoever of that sort 😉

Any ideas how to get the number off the sim card? I know I could ask BT (howzit admins 😉 ), but I have little faith in sending it back directly to BT, I'd rather send it back directly to the owner.

Cheers!

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
ryant704
Guru
Message 2 of 32

Re: I have found a BT mobile phone - how do I find the owner?

Hand it in to the police, they will charge it and try to contact the owner.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 32

The service provider [of the SIM] should be able to link the IMEI number of the phone to their customer with a fair wind; an alternative to the police is to take it to the nearest service providers retail outlet on the highstreet.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
TMPL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 32

I am not in The UK - so handing it over to Police is rather a complicated solution (in terms of the process). The owener must have been on vacation in my coutry, it's in EU.

I guess it should be possible to identify the owner based on the number printed on SIM card. Does any of you have any idea on the process of telecoms in such situations? As I said, I am happy sending it directly to the owner, but have little faith in sending it to BT. I don't think it will reach the owner.

Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 32

The IMEI number will be printed probably near the battery. There is a code to type in but as its pin locked thats a no go.
Say the sim is vodafone you could contact voda and they should be able to trace the owner. I doubt very much they will tell you. They could contact the owner and ask then to contact you or give you a return bag and then pass the phone on. Shame the device is pin locked.
AQ.

0 Ratings
stuartrogerson
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 32

What makes you think it is a BT phone? Wasn't aware they dealt with iPhones at all.

The owner and the police can track an iPhone via the Find My iphone App installed.

send it to me i'll hand it in to the police for you.

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 32

have you tried inserting sim card in a friends iphone it may not connect to network but may give access to contacts?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 32

Thinking about this, Im certain any Apple store anywhere could trace the owner Smiley Wink

AQ.

0 Ratings
TMPL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 32

It's an iPhone - opening it to get to battery might void the warranty - I am not sure, but don't want to take the risk.

There is a SIM card inside, with BT logo on it. I know, I am such a Sherlock 😉

I thought about getting in touch with BT, asking to pass my contact details to the owner - but I think it will rather be subject to friendly service of some employee, not a regular BT procedure.

Getting in touch with Apple store might be a good idea.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 32

you cant void the warranty by opening the back otherwise how do you put sim card in?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings