Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
vip2006
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

I have just upgraded my BTHomeHub 1.5 to HomeHub 2.0

Go to solution

I have followed the instructions to the letter with a successfull changeover. I have opted out of Fon etc and changed the passwords etc., Can hackers still invade me? and Is it possible to hide my Hub from view?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: I have just upgraded my BTHomeHub 1.5 to HomeHub 2.0

Go to solution
You cannot hide your hub from view unless you turn your wireless off.
Hiding your SSID does not hide your hub from view, someone with some simple software can still see it.

The Homehub 2.0 uses WPA encryption for wireless, which is quite secure, provided you have chosen a good password for the wireless key.

It is best to change the wireless key to a different one than the one that is written on the card.

Opting out of FON would not affect your security, as FON uses it own route through the BT network. All you have done is to lose your free access to other hotspots.
0 Ratings
vip2006
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks very much Keith, I have never had trouble with my BT ISP untill a person moved into a house around 20 yds away from my hub. He "seems" hellbent on "hacking" into my computers, I have a one PC and one laptop which uses the hub. I use a BT dongle when away from home and can get a service that way. Thanks for the advices and do you think that I should freqently change my both passwords freqently

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
I cannot see how he can hack into your wireless network if you have used a wireless key which is impossible to guess.

If its a good secure password then there should be no need to change it.
How can you be sure that he was hacking into your computer?

If you were using WEP encryption on your old hub, then that can be easy to crack, WPA is a different story however.

You can look at the DHCP table on the new hub and see if there are any unidentified connections.
0 Ratings
vip2006
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

High Keith - Thanks for your reply, on the 1.5 hub i was fairly sure that someone had hacked in to my network, my setup then was 2 pc's and 2 portables. This you may think is a lot for an old codger (75) like me to have, to explain my family have over the years since my retirement have bought me a computer or 2 as presents (for birthday or XMAS etc.,) I am a amateur photographer and seeing the benifits of digital photography going well with computers have untill very recently been more than happy with the internet and BT in general. However it seems that over time that I seem to be spending more time on security and updates than on the prime reason of photography. I have now disconnected my 2 oldest computers and will see if the amount of time will increase for my photo work.  Thanks for your help and I will look at the DHCP table when I next go into the hub.

regards

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Actually, the old HomeHub 1.5 need not be any less secure than the new v2.  The difference is that the 1.5 hub defaults to WEP, which is hopelessly insecure, while the v2 defaults to WPA.

WPA is difficult to hack, WPA2 is even more secure.

Choose a complex, and reasonably long, password.  Definitely NOT a dictionary word.  The password can be quite long, and can contain letters (capital and lowercase), numbers and punctuation.   For highest security, don't just stick with letters.

Personally, I don't bother changing passwords unless I have a specific reason to.  It just seems pointless effort for me.

0 Ratings
vip2006
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Hi - just thought I would check my mail before bed.  I had gathered that WEP was not as strong as WPA or WPA2 and I intend to change to change to that forthwidth. I intnd to change the wireless key and the hub management password tomorrow. Thank you very much for your interest shown and its nice to know that there are people who can give an old codger some confidence and assistance.

My main worry now is can the hackers have left "something" behind from the old hub which allows them to still have access to my now 2 only PC,s ?

regards

0 Ratings