cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbw156
Beginner
Message 1 of 21

I have two telephone lines (numbers) at home, but only one Master Socket. Is this correct?

I have two separate telephone numbers at home (one for business and one personal).  There are some internal extensions that take the lines and broadband to the lounge and study.  However, I only have one Master Socket.  I just assumed that two numbers would require two Master Sockets?

The reason for my question is that I have just signed up to have broadband on my personal number (I already have broadband on my business line) and the wiring to the study does not seem to be good enough to carry the signal (the line works fine for voice, but the router will not connect).  I know that the router works OK.

Your help and advice would be appreciated!

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: I have two telephone lines (numbers) at home, but only one Master Socket. Is this correct?

Does the master socket have two outlets?

Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 21

Re: I have two telephone lines (numbers) at home, but only one Master Socket. Is this correct?

Hi and welcome

As Keith says you may have a double master socket that could look like this:

LJU4_front_small1.jpg

and from the rear like this:

LJU4_1A_rear_small1.jpg

PS

Keith you just beat me to it!!!!

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

Never mind, its good for people to see that there is plenty of help on this forum.
0 Ratings
rbw156
Beginner
Message 5 of 21

Yes, the Master has two sockets (one for a telephone plug and one for an ADSL plug).  I believe it is an NTE2.

NTE5_ADSL.jpg

The socket in my study is like the image you posted with two telephone plugs (both telephone numbers work correctly for voice, but only the business line will support broadband).

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

Deleted

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 21

Sorry, reading you last post again, it looks like its a LJU5/1A, with one master and one extension. You will not be able to get broadband on the extension, as the filtered faceplate on your master socket will stop the signal.

You would have to change the front faceplate to a normal unfiltered type, NTE5A, or run a cable from the ADSL output, into your study.

You should be able to change the faceplate yourself, as its user replaceable.

rbw156
Beginner
Message 8 of 21

Thank you for your help.

I know someone in the household who will not be happy with another cable running down the hall!  I like your suggestion of replacing the faceplate.  Is this socket suitable?

http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/nte5-nte5a-bt-openreach-socket.html

Is it possible that when the engineer installed my second telephone line that he wired it directly to the extension socket in my study?  If I have two telephone lines, should I have two Master Sockets?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

@rbw156 wrote:

Is it possible that when the engineer installed my second telephone line that he wired it directly to the extension socket in my study?  If I have two telephone lines, should I have two Master Sockets?

The extension socket in the study will have split sockets, one half is a normal extension, and the other half will be a master socket, which has the additional components wired on the back.

You could use the master socket faceplate from the item you described, to replace the faceplate on your one with the phone/ADSL sockets.

The extension wiring should be connected to the front removable part. You can check this by unscrewing the existing faceplate, which you are allowed to do yourself.

0 Ratings
rbw156
Beginner
Message 10 of 21

Sorry, for the delay I have been tearing my hair out trying to figure out how to resolve this!

I have inspected the wiring and sketched out below what goes where.  My business line is XXXX37 and my personal line is XXXX89.  The business broadband works and goes directly to what looks like a LJU4 in my study.  Whereas, my personal broadband does not work and goes to a NTE5A faceplate, then to my study and the same LJU4, but the ring capacitor has been removed (the ring capacitor has not been removed from the business line).  All telephones have microfilters except for the one that is plugged into the NTE5A faceplate.

My personal broadband only works if I connect directly to the ADSL socket on the NTE5A faceplate.  I want to be able to place the router in my study.  Any ideas?

IMG-1.jpg

0 Ratings