cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 21

Re: I have two telephone lines (numbers) at home, but only one Master Socket. Is this correct?

@rbw156 wrote:

Sorry, for the delay I have been tearing my hair out trying to figure out how to resolve this!

My personal broadband only works if I connect directly to the ADSL socket on the NTE5A faceplate.  I want to be able to place the router in my study.  Any ideas?

Thats the way its supposed to work, the ADSL faceplate will stop the broadband at that point, so it will not get to the extension at all.

You would have to replace the faceplate with a standard unfiltered one. That would let the broadband signal pass down the extension wiring.

As it is, the broadband will stop at the ADSL front socket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 21

Re: I have two telephone lines (numbers) at home, but only one Master Socket. Is this correct?

Just to add, your broadband is not going to work as well down all of that cable.

A better idea would be to plug it in at the ADSL socket. and use powerline adapter to carry the Ethernet signal to your office.

See Network connections

for an example.

0 Ratings
rbw156
Beginner
Message 13 of 21

Keith

Please forgive me if this is a really stupid question, but is both the phone socket on the front of the faceplate and the terminals on the back of the faceplate filtered?  The reason why I ask this is that the two extensions for my personal line are wired into the terminals on the back of the faceplate, not the front.  See photo below:

The orange wires on the left come through the backplate and into the cable that runs to the study for my business line.  The twisted blue pair of this cable carries the personal line to the study, but they are wired into the back of the faceplate.  Does this make a difference?  The two blue and one orange wires in the centre of the photo carry my personal line to the kitchen.

I was thinking of running the network over the ring main, but I need four Ethernet connections in the study and my wife is not keen on having the router under the bed!

DSC_0058.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 21

@rbw156 wrote:

Keith

Please forgive me if this is a really stupid question, but is both the phone socket on the front of the faceplate and the terminals on the back of the faceplate filtered?  The reason why I ask this is that the two extensions for my personal line are wired into the terminals on the back of the faceplate, not the front.  See photo below:

The orange wires on the left come through the backplate and into the cable that runs to the study for my business line.  The twisted blue pair of this cable carries the personal line to the study, but they are wired into the back of the faceplate.  Does this make a difference?  The two blue and one orange wires in the centre of the photo carry my personal line to the kitchen.

I was thinking of running the network over the ring main, but I need four Ethernet connections in the study and my wife is not keen on having the router under the bed!

That is your master socket. All terminations must come off the back of the removable faceplate. You are not allowed to connect anything to the "line" side of the master socket, which belongs to Openreach.

The Openreach side is one pair of wires, sometimes terminating on screw terminals.

The components in the master socket are designed to protect against surges, and allow for remote testing.

The connections on the back of the removable faceplate are the same as the phone socket on the front, they do not carry the broadband signal.

If you use powerline adapters to carry the Ethernet signal, its very easy just to connect an Ethernet switch at the end, which has multiple ports.

I will draw you a diagram to show what I mean. Give me 30 minutes or maybe less, and I will add it to the thread.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 21

Here is one I made earlier Smiley Wink

Extending Home Hub via powerline and ethernet.jpg

rbw156
Beginner
Message 16 of 21

Fantastic, thank you very much.  I'm sure that will work a treat and the TL-SF1005D is available for £7 on Amazon!  I'm sorted.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 21

@rbw156 wrote:

Fantastic, thank you very much.  I'm sure that will work a treat and the TL-SF1005D is available for £7 on Amazon!  I'm sorted.

So are the Powerline adapters.

I am pleases that you have it sorted nowSmiley Happy

If you have any other issues, please return to the forum.

0 Ratings
rbw156
Beginner
Message 18 of 21

Just one last question ... why would the engineer have physically cut the ring capacitor (C2 below) from the extension socket in my study on the personal line?

DSC_0065.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 21

That is a split extension/ master socket. Which side  is your extension on?

I can also see some trapped wires on the left near the screw holes.

0 Ratings
rbw156
Beginner
Message 20 of 21

The extension is on the left hand side (blue wires).

0 Ratings