cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 23

I have upgraded to Infinity 2 but speed is capped!

I have been with BT Infinity for 20 months and very happy with the service. Gaming, surfing the net with super speeds with no problems at all.

So as a result of this excellent service I have been provided, I decided to renew my contract and upgrade to 'Infinity 2'.

I upgraded on 31 May 2012 but as of yet, I have not see any difference in speeds, infant I have done several speeds tests which show my line has been capped. I am sure it takes around 10 days for the upgrade to complete where I will experience high and low speeds until my broadband line is stable. My question is: How can they measure how much more my line can take if it has already shown it is capable or more yet it has now been capped to a lower number.

Below I have posted speed test results of before and after the upgrade using: http://speedtester.bt.com/.

Speeds tests before the upgrade on 31 May 2012:

Speedtest taken: 28.4.2011

Download 33025 (capped at 35738):

Upload 8188 (capped at 10000):

//--

Speedtest taken: 28.4.2011

Download 33027 (capped at 36635):

Upload 7926 (capped at 10000):

//--

Speedtest taken: 24.5.2012

Download 36000 (capped at 38720):

Upload 6500 (capped at 10000):

//--

Speedtest taken: 30.5.2012

Download 36.29 (capped at 38.72):

Upload 7.11 (capped at 10):

Speeds tests after the upgrade on 31 May 2012:

//--

Speedtest taken: 1.6.2012

Download 40.93 (capped at 43.55):

Upload 6.56 (capped at 20):

//--

Speedtest taken: 3.6.2012

Download 36.01 (capped at 38.3):

Upload 6.14 (capped at 20):

What I cant understand is that on 1.6.2012 the screenshot above shows my line achieved a Download of 40.93 yet I see todat that my line is now capped at 38.3! My question is how on earth can the BT testers see if my line can take more if they have capped it to 38.3! In logic tearms and for the fact I am paying for more, I just don't understand why that have capped it at all. As seen in pics above the uploads have never been capped, why the downloads when we are paying for more.

Thank you for your time

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Guru
Message 2 of 23

Re: I have upgraded to Infinity 2 but speed is capped!

DLM will reduce your speed if too many errors are seen as it will prefer stability, what are you estimates on the infinity checker? www.bt.com/infinity
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Estimates on checker are:

48.9Mb download
18.9Mb upload

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 23

How do you work out your paying more?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 5 of 23

Hmm well you hit the cap before the upgrade which essentially is good, although there isn't essentially a 10 day stabilisation period for Infinity, just let things settle. Users have found their speeds go up over time whilst the connection settles in.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 23

OK, I will wait and see if it speeds up. 
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 7 of 23

Let us know how it goes, if nothing improves we'll point you in the right direction for some help 😉
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 23

I know its a bank holiday Mon - Tue but still nothing has changed on my line and it is still capped at download: 38.3. I have checked to see how long my line has been up which is 1 day 12 hours so I am guessing nothing has been looked at or tested. My line has already shown it can go further than 38.3 so I must admit I am dissapointed why it is still capped to not go any further.

Speedtest taken: 4.6.2012

Download 36.38 (capped at 38.3):

Upload 6.98 (capped at 20):

Could you please point me in the right direction.

Thank you

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 9 of 23

I was thinking more on the lines of a week, DLM won't magically increase your profiles over night, it could be a week or so at least and considering you've only just upgraded it would be worth leave.

However, if you want some help contact the mods: https://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

It takes up to 3 days to get a response from them either by email or phone.

I can't say for sure, but for the moment they may or may not entertain you as from Dean's post on the Infinity board he suggests you leave your line stabilise for 10 days.

In my honest opinion, i would leave it unti the 10 days are up from when your upgrade went through, just to be sure and on the safe side.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 23

Predicted 48 and getting 38. You would be hard pressed to get bt to care about that.