cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 30

I’m being billed for a service I don’t have/use.

Go to solution

I was a BT Basic phone & broadband customer. As the broadband allowance is not very much, I recently moved my broadband to Plusnet & have used Plusnet broadband since my activation date on the 8th December. I decided to keep my BT basic landline.

I have received my BT bill today via email (which I have always had to pay 3 months in advance). I am being billed £29.85 for January 18 to March 18 for BT basic phone and broadband package (£9.95 per month).

Is there a reason this is happening as I have my broadband with Plusnet & not BT?

Thank you

0 Ratings
29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30

Re: I’m being billed for a service I don’t have/use.

Go to solution

Hi @weemax Sorry that you have continued to be charged for broadband after it has been moved to another supplier.

If you send us over your details we will be happy to get this fixed for you. You can contact us by clicking on my user name and selecting contact the mods.

Thanks
John

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 30

Broadband migration madness... Help...

Go to solution

This is a long one. I have been a BT customer for 7/8 years. The past few years I have been a BT Basic phoneline & Brroadband (12GB allowance) customer. I pay £29.85 every 3 months for this service in advance. Recently, due to requiring a higher data allowance, I decided to leave BT broadband service & join Plusnet for broadband only who offer an unlimited service. I wanted to keep my BT Basic Landline.

On Friday 24th November I placed an online order with Plusnet for broadband only. I was told this would take 2 weeks to migrate over from BT & would be active on the 8th December. I heard very little from Plusnet about my move & by the 6th December (2 days before activation on the 8th), I called Plusnet. Plusnet told me my order hadn’t gone through and that they would place it again but to complete would take another 2 weeks. Ok I thought, no big deal, these things happen.

On the 7th December the day after I spoke to the lady from Plusnet, I received a message from the Plusnet Help Team on the Plusnet community forums. I had asked on the Plusnet forums what was happening with my order.

Thanks for contacting us via our community forums

I'm sorry to hear your order wasn't put through to our suppliers when you signed up.

Whilst I can see the adviser you spoke to yesterday has placed your order, they've unfortunately placed a phone and broadband order when you signed up as a broadband only customer.

I've cancelled the orders they've placed and when that's done I'll make sure we just transfer your broadband service to us. I'm very sorry for any inconvenience caused.

It turned out that Plusnet reordered my broadband BUT also mistakenly ordered my phone line moved as well. Thankfully going by the message from the Plusnet Help Team on the forums, the Help Team managed to cancel the broadband & phone order the girl mistakenly placed when I phoned Plusnet.

So the next day 8th December arrives which was my original migration date for my broadband (the order I placed myself online). I got an email/notification that my Plusnet Broadband was ready to go! Amazing! I was told by Plusnet that order hadnet went through. I enter the Plusnet account infomation into my router & sure enough, I have Plusnet Broadband. Excellent.

Now, somewhere amongst all of this BT send me a letter saying “sorry you are leaving blah blah blah, contact us by a certain date if you don’t want your services cancelled” so I call them up just to make sure they aren’t going stop my BT Basic Landline & the girl from BT says, "dont worry about that, I can see that order was cancelled". So it's all going great.

Now for the first sign of trouble. I usually recevie my BT bill on the 15th-18th of the month it is due. I do have a bill due in December to be paid for the next 3 months of useage (eg 15th December-15 March). This bill doesnt arrive until the 22nd December. It has never been this late before.

I can see on this bill from BT that I am to pay £29.85 for 15th Decemember-14th March for BT Basic + Broadband. I contact BT via telephone to query this as I do not have Broadband with them. I tell them the backstory how I migrated to Plusnet for Broadband only on the 8th December & that I should only be paying for my BT Basic landline. BT tell me the department that can deal with my situation is closed and they will call me back after Christmas.

True enough, I receive a call back yesterday. I am passed around various departments explaing each time my situation (getting a bit long winded now. In the end, cutting a long story short, BT hang up.

I call BT today 28th December to query my bill & wsee what is happening. BT tell me I don not have ANY services with them. They tell me Plusnet took the Broadband AND the landline. I ask about this and tell BT this WAS NOT to happen.  BT say that Plusnet was supposed to confirm to them that they were not taking the landline. I tell BT that Plusnet told them not to take the landline, I told BT that I also phoned them to tell them not to take the landline and BT reiterate that Plusnet did not confirm to them not to take it. I ask if Plusnet have taken the broadband & BT Basic landline, why am I still receiving a bill on the 22nd December dated 21st December for the next 3 months with BT?  She then places me on hold for 5 minutes and then tells me I will have to start a new BT basic account with BT???!! She transfers me to BT basic team so I can move the phone line back to BT basic who then put me on hold and for the second time in 2 days, disconnect me. 

Plusnet are adamant that the order to take the phoneline was cancelled on the 7th December & that has been confirmed to them by Openreach. Plusnet are also happy to supply a screenshot of their supplier systems showing the cancellation.

Please can someone sort this mess out, what are BT doing? I have a bill for £29.85 due to be paid by the 31st December & I dont want to be getting in to a mess.

Thank you.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 30

Re: Broadband migration madness... Help...

Go to solution

Did you take up the offer of help from the mods posted on 24/12?  If not then I suggest that is the way forward

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 30

Go to solution

Thank you imjolly. 

I have contacted the mods mods about this now, thanks again.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 6 of 30

Go to solution

The mods have the link to the “broadband migration madness” thread which I can’t see anymore as 2 threads have been merged. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 30

Go to solution

Link may have disappeared as you did not take it up. I asked mods to post contact us link again. Just need to wait

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 30

Go to solution

Hi @WeeMan

If you click into my profile you should see the link in the section about me.

If posting from a mobile please change setting to view full site to see the link.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 9 of 30

Go to solution

Sorry. I am not explaining myself very well. 

I was able to contact the mods. I done this by going  to my previous thread “I’m being billed for a service I don’t have/use”. When I am asked for the details I linked to the thread “broadband migration madness”. I now see the 2 threads have been merged. I was just wondering if the link I sent to the mods for this thread will still work. I hope you understand, I’ve had a long day. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 30

Go to solution

Hi @weemax

I can see that your email is now in our queue once it reaches the top we will be in touch. We can take a few days to reply.

With this in mind, try to call the BT Basic team tomorrow direct on 0800 800 864 (opening hours are 9am to 6pm) to see if they can get an order on to restore service for you.

Thanks

Stuart