cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Taffy078
Expert
Message 1 of 5

I'm stiill having problems with viewing my emails (XP - IE8)

I've referred to this in quite a few other threads - I always used my IE8 to access my BTYahoo email account but three or four months ago, everything went pear-shaped. I get though to view my in-box but when I click on an email, the tick becomes grey-out i.e. I can see it but it never actually opens the email.

At that time the problem seemd to co-incide with a MIcrosoft IE8 update so I thought that that was to blame. However, I still have the problem - MS say that IE8 issues have been resolved, as have the XP issues so why can't I go back to using IE8 on my XP PC to open emails.

I do have some problems with IE8/XP when I access my gmail account but at least their system tells me that I will have those problems - switch to a modern browser it says, IE10 or later or Chrome/Firefox.

(1) Is there anyone else here with IE8/XP?

(2) If so, do you have similar problems?

(3) Might this be an issue with the Yahoo side of BTYahoo?

(4) When will BT migrate us away from BTYahoo? Why won't they tell us? What's the problem?

C'mon BT - it's nearly Christmas! (Should I write to Santa Claus and ask him to make me happy?)

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: I'm stiill having problems with viewing my emails (XP - IE8)

It could be a combination of XP and IE8 being old and possible problems because of the faulty update you said you had. You could try uninstalling IE8 and reinstalling it. See link

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969358/en-gb

or install another browser such as Firefox or Chrome.  

Taffy078
Expert
Message 3 of 5

thanks gg30340. [Edited: Are you ruling out a Yahoo problem?]

I've just seen a post by DougCuk yesterday 05:11 here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/514140/svchostexe-using-100-cpu/page-2

It seems to confirm your comment about IE8. Doug's post is rather too technical for me in parts (e.g. BITS) but no doubt it will make sense to you, Keith Beddoe and others.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

It would seem the Microsoft have broken IE8 and their "fix-it" on their website has compounded that.

Did you use Microsoft "fix-it" on their website? If not don't.

If you did use the "fix-it" the guy on the other forum has suggested doing a system restore to a point before the problem started.

You could of course do this as well or you could use another browser meantime until Microsoft issue a fix for the IE8 initial problem, which won't be until the New Year.

Doing a system restore can bring its own problems, so if everything else on your computer is OK and unless you are desperate to use IE8 I would use another browser and wait for the fix. 

0 Ratings
Taffy078
Expert
Message 5 of 5

Thanks, gg30340. I think I'll wait until January (2015?!!)

I'm using Chrome for now on my XP desktop.

0 Ratings