Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Message 1 of 52

I need a magical guide on how to force an IP Profile reset

Go to solution

Hey guys,

Would any of you happen to know how I can go about forcing an IP profile reset in a new property I have just moved into? I am meant to receive between 40-55Mbps but unfortunately my IP profile is locked at 32.66Mbps so I am only receiving 32Mbps download. I've went on livechat to BT and he claimed he has forced the change and it'll take up to 24 hours but obviously that wasn't true or I wouldn't be here!

I'd prefer not to wait the 10 days so trying my luck 😞

Thanks.

0 Ratings
51 REPLIES 51
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 52

Re: I need a magical guide on how to force an IP Profile reset

Go to solution

Its not possible.

You should get the maximum speed from the start if there are no problems with the line.

Over about 10 days, this could be reduced if the error rate is too high,

See How does DLM (Dynamic Line Management) work (Plusnet page)

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

Which BT Home hub do you have?

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 3 of 52

Go to solution

I have posted the details below, my internet should get faster surely.... I can tell it wants to go faster because it literally locks at 32Mbps and keeps dropping between 31/32/31/32 over and over. I run my own custom setup with PFSense however I have tested with the Home Hub 5 and it's the same problem.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 52

Go to solution

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Please can you provide the connection information from your Home Hub 5?

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 5 of 52

Go to solution

There is no noise whatsoever between announcements by ringing that number, I can't check the connection information at this moment in time as I'm struggling to find where I actually put the hub (boxes everywhere). I am adamant the issue is DLM because when I want onto the phone with BT support he said himself that my lowest speed should be 40Mbps and when he did a line test it was showing the 32.66Mbps, the same as my IP Profile.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 52

Go to solution

The contracted speed is only the connection speed, not the download speed.

You should get a connection speed between 40Mbs and 55Mbs.

Does your router show a physical connection speed?

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 7 of 52

Go to solution

Correct but also my download speed would be around the same to local servers, obviously figures would differ depending on how far the downloading server was and it's routing etc etc but for a speed test I would accomplish somewhere around my connection speed which I am no where near achieveing.

Meaning it must be the line profile issue, hopefully it'll recalculate to a higher speed over the 10 days verse a lower speed or this is going to be a long journey.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 52

Go to solution

Your download speed will always be less than your connection speed, as there are transmission overheads.

Two  important bits of information are needed at this point.

Your actual connection speed.

Your downstream noise margin.

Without that information, nobody on this forum will be able to help.

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 9 of 52

Go to solution

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 52

Go to solution

are you using the test socket to see if that improves speed especially if new property and you are not sure about internal wiring

if that gives no improvement then phone customer services and get engineer visit as your connection speed is below handback speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings