cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

I need my BT Broadband back!

I recently moved and my new flat I was told had Internet so I cancelled my BT contract with 5 months remaining . When I moved to the new flat I discovered that the signal was very weak.  I called BT to ask  if I could reinstate my broadband and move it to the new flat since I am paying for it. They said no I would need a new contract and still have to pay for the 5 months remaining. I don't think this is fair. they would rather loose me as a customer  than reinstate my service?  Judging by the post I see here Maybe someone at bt will see this and intervene otherwise I will get a new contract on Monday  and it will not be with BT. I made a mistake to cancel the service and I'm paying the price. i hope my experience will help others not to do the same.   

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: I need my BT Broadband back!

What were you expecting at the new flat? If it already had broadband someone must have had a supply contract, which would normally have ceased when they left. So you will need to get an ISP, and you may be able to use the threat of going elsewhere to get an acceptable deal from BT. Try Sales on 0800 783 0056.

Whatever you do, a fresh contract alone is not sure to improve the BB performance unless you can get cable (Infinity if BT). ADSL speed is determined largely by the same line whatever ISP uses it. 

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

If you have cancelled your service then yes what you were told is correct you will need to start a new contract and you will be due to pay the cancellation charges is applies to all ISPs notjust Btyou wouldhave been better off to have moved your phone and broadband to your new address asthe servicesthat were at your new flat would have been ceased any way

As has been said there is no guarantee that getting either Bt or any other ISP will improve yor broadband speed your speeds calculated on your distance from the exchange and the quality of the phone line

0 Ratings
theriddlerz
Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Kanigetabreak

this isnt allways the case as u have just been informed by the help u have had in some case u can get alot better speeds than bt becuase bt retail dosnt allways use the all out options at the exchange e.g adsl+2 or aneix A b c or even m and

alot of the time when (ceased or canceled bb contracts at new propertys have not been canceled properly u end up with extremely low speeds and bt retail refuses to look into it becuase most third party isp have full use of the line in trhe new property or bt retail has gone ahead and tryed to add there stuff on top of current active accounts or changed numbers and the other accounts are still in use but the old number of that account or line has gone off to third party and then there is even bigger issue becausethe new isp or line provider has gone and added now serivces to that number and this is how we end up with spegetti juntions on retails behave and then they will pass it on to ur self and say ur provider will have to cancel there side of things and so on u will have to even low it was retail that actived the products and removed them when wholesale had no appointment or date set for change over and so on so becarefull that this hasnt happend check will all the companys that have tag's on the line not just retail becuase alot of the time retail and see anything wrong and the will take the order from u and it will just get worse so all i am saying is be very carefull of this and to the new account there are other isp's out there that have rolling contracts that u can try 1 for a month then move on if u find that there is an issue after activtion

0 Ratings
theriddlerz
Contributor
Message 5 of 9

and it ends up all old numbers are pasted around networks still linked to address and account
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

Kanigetabreak, sorry your post was difficult to read with the spelling and lack of punctuation.
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
Guru
Message 7 of 9

@Devon_Dave wrote:
Kanigetabreak, sorry your post was difficult to read with the spelling and lack of punctuation.

> Cancelled broadband at his current home before moving into his new flat, because he was told it already had broadband(current residents I would imagine).

> Moved into the flat. Discovered the flat had weak signal? w/e that means

> Asked if he could reinstate his broadband from his previous home which he cancelled with 5 months remaining and had to pay cancelltation fee.

> BT said no and that he would have to take out a new contract

That's what I got from his post 🙂

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

I think DD meant the post made by theriddlerz was the confusing one
Guru
Message 9 of 9

@john46 wrote:
I think DD meant the post made by theriddlerz was the confusing one

Ha, I think you're right. 

He starts by talking about different ADSL technology and what is available then BT retail capping you. Then I stopped reading at spaghetti

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings