Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
katsie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

I need to stop BT Broadband

I am moving back to my parents home and I cannot have it transferred using a MAC Code as I will not have access to computer equipment when I move. My partner will not take on the Broadband account (we are not on good terms - divorcing) and bought the computer. I don't see how I can be liable for the £30 fee as the circumstances are beyond any control. Can anyone please advise?

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 4

Re: I need to stop BT Broadband

Unfortunatly its not the the fault of BT either.

This charge of £30 is levied on all ISP's where the customer is cancelling and not migrating. The charge is then passed on to the customer

How you can say you shouldn't pay it because it is beyond your control defeats me.

If the account is in your name then the bill will come to you, if the account is in your partners name it will go to him.

Legally I would imagine that you should be able to claim 50% of the bill of him in the Divorce .

From what I have read, your giving him the computer equipment and he is giving you the bills. That doesn't look like fair shares to me

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
ernie_c
Expert
Message 3 of 4

You will also need to consider whether you are still within contract and liable for any early disconnection fees.

0 Ratings
Customer2011
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

Instead of paying the £30 fee to disconnect simply because you don't have a computer, you can get a reasonable spec PC (enough for internet usage anyway) for around £20 on ebay 🙂

0 Ratings