cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AlexanderRevell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

I seem to be limited to 4MB/s... Did I annoy somebody??

I've been having problems with my broadband connection/speed over the past few weeks. On the 27th I put in a call and reported a fault. The guy I spoke to said "my issue would be resolved within 4 days" and it wasn't... So I called again last night. Now, maybe I should have waited 4 WORKING days but since the help line is open 24/7 I assumed that BT would be working 24/7 to fix this. Silly of me? Maybe. But an honest mistake on my part!! I use the Internet 24/7 so I notice the second I have a problem and I don't like to be messed around any more than the next man. Anyway, I called up last night and was told there was no fault... The guy told me to replace the filters as a faulty filter could cause my broadband to drop out and slow down. I only replaced them a couple of months ago and I don't have spares so he said he would send some out, free of charge, and I would have them within 2 working days.  I highly doubt that the filter is the problem but anyway, I continued to test my line and when I went to sleep at around 11pm my speed was around 3.5MB/s. I just woke up (3am) and have been testing for an hour...normaly at this time I'm achieving speeds in excess of 6MB/s but I've not been able to get anything over 4MB/s and I'm getting very consistent results of around 3.9MB/s...  I'm no expert but it does seem like I have been limited to 4MB/s. Here is a screen shot of my speed test results presented in a graph:

http://gyazo.com/7ac69a1d7f7049b4ddcc8eba618a0ab8

you can see a very suspicious looking flat line there which is very unusual and only seems to have started since I put in the call last night. You can also see my speed dropping out to less than 1MB/s so you know I'm really not making this issue up!!! I pay the full price for the full package with unlimited downloads etc and I use the Internet A LOT. I suffer with mental health issues and I'm at home all the time on the Internet so having my service disrupted like this has had a BIG effect on me and maybe I am become obsessed?.. But I know there is a problem!!! I cant play online games because I keep getting disconnected. This is a problem that has only existed for the last few weeks..i never had a problem before and I've been gaming at this address for over 2 years. I UNDERSTAND THAT MY SPEED WILL DROP DURING PEAK TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!! But that has never stopped me from gaming before and on the 27th when I put in the first call I couldn't even stream a 240p youtube video... It was that bad.

I have ordered new filters form Amazon (don't wanna wait 2 days) so I can confirm that isn't the problem when I call them back but I just don't see what else I can do about this and having my speed limited seems extremely unfair! I wasn't rude at all in anyway. I just asked him what was going on. Maybe I am being totally paranoid??? But this is really driving me insane!! I just want to get back to some kind of normality and i have a nasty feeling that BT wont do anything to help. i cant "live with it" i would rather cancel my contract than live with this.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!!

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: I seem to be limited to 4MB/s... Did I annoy somebody??

Hi welcome to the forums,

The forums are customer to customer in the first instance, Only the mods (BT) will ask for personal information through a email link. Would you mind posting your Hub stats & BT speed test results this will help all with diagnosis-

To post the full stats from your router
for home hub - 192.168.1.254
Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right
Click on More Details and then post the results.
Run BT speed tester and post the results from http://speedtester.bt.com/

If possible it would be best to connect to the BT master socket this will rule out any telephone/broadband extension wiring also consider the housing of the hub/router as anything electrical can cause problems as these are your responsibility, if these are found to be the case Openreach (engineer) will charge BT Broadband, which will be passed onto you, around £130.00.

Noisy line! When making telephone calls, if so this is not good for your broadband, you can check-

Quite line test dial 17070 option 2 and listen - should hear nothing best done with old type analogue phone digital (dect) will do but may have slight hiss If you hear noise- crackling pops etc, report it as a noisy line on your phone, don’t mention broadband, Bt Faults on 151.

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....
AlexanderRevell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 11:52:41
Downstream7,616 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)11.6 dB / 22.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)13.0 dB / 9.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)19.8 dBm / 11.8 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)0
Loss of Signal (Local)0
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)23 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)1 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)1

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5742 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :7616 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

Seems I was mistaken about being limited.... I feel such a fool!!! But I do keep getting disconnected while gaming etc. I still believe there is a problem but maybe I should just wait for the filters. im being impatient and overreacting.

Thank you for replying!! im so sorry I didn't post this info before!!! You must get bored with having to ask.

I don't have a master socket. I have 1 line-in connected to a small black box above my front door with 2 lines coming out.

1 goes upstairs to another similar looking box and that has a line out to a socket

1 goes down the hall a short distance and connects directly to a socket.

I have tested both the socket at the times when the broadband slowes down and cuts out, and they measure the same results as I get while on my PC in my room connected via an extension lead. If there is a problem with the wiring then its not mine. My house is old and so are the wires. Is it my job to maintain the wires coming into the sockets? Or is that down to BT? I cant see any problem with them but im no expert as I said... I even tried a different router ( home hub 1.0). Like I said before, I only just replaced all the filters a couple of months ago so surely they cant have broken already?!?! I have unplugged all the filters and tested them individually and they all seem to get the same result. I guess its possible a power surge could have knocked them all out and if that's the case then I really have been wasting everybody's time. Maybe I should just shut the **bleep** up until the new filters arrive....

EDIT: just piled a load of cushions and blankets ontop of myslef and did the quiet tast again. all seems fine.

0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 18

I'm a bit lost with your set up regarding master sockets and black boxes etc, I'm just used to split master socket and nothing else showing , I suppose you could have a old standard set up, might be worth asking for current standard set up "as long as its fee",  Anyone!

The exchange could also be suffering from congestion find your exchange here -

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

and then look for your exchange here-http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?

Also do 3 bt speed test a different times of day, Morning you have done, early afternoon and mid evening.  If there is significant slowdown particular the latter this could be your problem.

Another thing to consider as you game is going onto fastpath rather than interleaved, this would reduce your ping better response times etc, however consider associated risk such as less stable line, saying that you are close to the exchange with fec errors low.  Indeed I would wait until current issues have been rectified,  Request here-http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951  

Never get bored Smiley Wink 

I'm alright Jack....
AlexanderRevell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 18

Thank you very much.

"

Colour: GreenVP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Green.
Click here for further details
Colour: RedBT have advised that no current planned date for WBC on 21CN exists
Colour: UnknownYou can view recent Service Outages for this exchange here
Colour: UnknownBT has published DSL Max upgrade information for this exchange
Click here for further details

but im still at a loss. there is a significant slowdown in the evenings but its never been this bad up untill the last few weeks. i'll post result of the speed test later and also try switching to Fastpath tomorrow if the new filters dont do anything to help. i guess i just gotta keep ringing BT untill something happens. 

Thanks for your time!

EDIT: At around 12.25pm today i lost my connection to the internet and have only just got it back (13:35pm). all the time my PC was telling me "no internet access is available" but the boradband light on my home hub 2.0 was glowing steady Blue.... i ran around the house tesing both the sockets and all my equipment again. the phone line was working fine. BT broadband desktop help kept telling me i had internet access but there was some kind of issue and then it would try to load a webpage.... which timed out.

Afternnoon speed test results (13:47pm):

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5945 Kbps
 Additional Information:

0 Ratings
NilSatisOptimum
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 18

There has been country wide outage today with the BT network, this could also be adding to matters.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15154020

I'm alright Jack....
AlexanderRevell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 18

Oh I see Smiley Surprised that would explain my problems this afternoon then.

it maybe worth adding that although my connection normally does slow down in the evenings, its not every day that it tends to cut out and drop down to silly speeds (less than 500KB/s). I had no problems on Friday or Saturday night and was recording speeds of over 4MB/s even at peak times. It was Sunday afternoon that the problem seemed to start again, dropping to less than 1MB/s and I was getting a 250ms Ping with a -166% packet loss. This really makes no sense to me... How can it lose more packets than it started with? Or am I reading the results wrong? Anyway, it wasn't as bad as the 27th but still unusable really.  And your right I am very close to the exchange. I could probably throw a stone at it while standing in my garden.

Speed test (17:05pm):

Download speedachieved during the test was - 2815 Kbps
 Additional Information:

This drop in speed is understandable at this time and today my Ping is great at 55ms. Was around 3pm yesterday that I first got disconnected from my gaming session. And I did a speed test which recorded a bandwidth of around 2MB/s with a Ping around 100-150ms. I'll test again at 7pm and post the results.

Speed test (19:00pm)

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4010 Kbps
 Additional Information:

So there seems to be no problem at all this evening. Ping is great. Speed is fine. Not really any issues today... You could easily believe that there is no issue at all... And that's exactly why it makes no sense to me. 1 day its fine and the next mi getting cut off, speeds drop way below what they should be and my ping is all over the place. Am I to accept this as normal service now? I'm really not happy about it. There have been times that the speed has dropped way below "the acceptable range of speeds" and so I'm finding it hard to believe there isn't a problem... Only thing left to do now is get the new filters and wait to see if they resolve the issue.

Massive THANK YOU to

NilSatisOptimum

you have been a great help to me!!!!

Update (20:04pm):

http://gyazo.com/e3eda21aa2264e77bfa83a4dae450ed7

*Facepalm* FML!!!

Ping Flood??

I did receive threats just recently that I would be hacked... Could this possibly be the issue?

Had problems from around 8pm -10:30pm. Speed was ranging wildly from 0.7MB/s to 4.0MB/s during this time and the ping was also all over the place. Take a look at this:

http://gyazo.com/ca21b2cb6fa9c5172a7f308e9d47af9e

Speed and ping seemed to very quickly return to normal (55ms 5-6MB/s) around 10:30pm

and had no problems up until 2:20am when I lost Internet connection again. Seemed exactly the same as earlier in that I couldn't load a webpage but the broadband light on my home hub was glowing blue.that only lasted for a few minutes and now everything is fine again.

0 Ratings
AlexanderRevell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

OMG, WHY are you doing this to me, BT!?!

Got the new filter and as I suspected that's not the issue. Called up and spoke to a woman that I could hardly hear. Was pretty much shouting down the phone and she was at the other end shouting back... She told me to change my filter... I told her I already did. Then she told me to delete my Internet history and cookies.................OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly snapped the phone in half!!!

Ok so I get that "traffic" in my area can cause my connection to slow but when it slowes to the point of being unusable SURELY its time for BT to do something?!?!?! I am NOT receiving the service im paying for..... They can't keep adding more homes to the same exchange without upgrading it!!! I asked if she could request an upgrade at the exchange but she said "I can't do anything from my end, sir"....

When i called on the 27th I wasn't even getting 100kb/s. No it isn't that bad right now but I still cant do anything in the evenings...i join a game and get disconnected, so I join again, then get disconnected... There's only so many times I can be bothered to keep joining the **bleep** game and getting disconnected before I get **bleep** off and give up.. Its only been like this for the last few weeks... Maybe some douche on my street got BT vision and is hogging all the Internet??!?! Why should I have to suffer??!!?!?

I've had enough of the **bleep** and I need to speek to somebody who actually knows what they are talking about and can HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 18

Re: OMG, WHY are you doing this to me, BT!?!

hi you comment about traffic in your area unfortunately packet loss high ping can happen at any part of the network between your home and the website server you are accessing on many occasions the problem is outside the bt network and once outside the bt network it ceases to be there responsibility again peak time usage can change from day to day this of course can be the cause the different speed losses each day the problem has got worse over the years as more people take up high bandwidth usage eg video streaming and of course the advent of HD streaming networks world wide struggle to cope particularly when major news and sports event become live streamed events however you mention BT vision the only usage of bandwidth is if a video on demand feature is being used and then the users own bandwidth is reduced to provide the capacity for the stream from there own connection otherwise vision has no usage
AlexanderRevell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

Re: OMG, WHY are you doing this to me, BT!?!

Thanks for replying!

Ok so its not BT vision but when I first moved into this house there was maybe 2 other people in the area that had broadband. I know that because I remember trying to connect wirelessly on my laptop. Now there are around 10 wireless networks in my area. Would these not have some effect on the exchange? Is it not a reasonable assumption to make that my exchange is becoming overcrowded. And why shouldn't BT have to do something about it?

I know testing my ping etc on speedtest.net isn't solid proof but when it gets bad im constantly getting disconnected from xbox live, Echofon times out and webpages either take a long time to load or they time out. I checked the status of my exchange as advised and they are not reporting any issues. I AM HAVING ISSUES! And im not making it up.

0 Ratings