cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 18

Re: OMG, WHY are you doing this to me, BT!?!

Hi overcrowded exchanges are very rare theses days testing your ping is as you say no proof because an increased ping can be outside the BT network disconnections however are a different thing and need investigating try these suggestions first are you connected to the test socket this is located at the rear of the front-plate of your master socket doing this eliminates any possible problems with wiring from extensions also please try the following Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 18

hi a quick question you mention disconnections when gaming are these on a pc or xbox also how are they connected to your home hub wireless or ethernet if wireless your problems could simply be wireless interference for gaming a wired connection is always the best
AlexanderRevell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 18

Hi and thanks again for the replays!!!!

I don't have a master socket like your describing. Basically:

2 lines coming into the house which travel into a small black box above my front door

1 line comes out of the black box and goes upstairs to another black box thing and there is a line out of that going into and old style socket

another line comes out of the black box and travels a short distance down the hall to another old style socket

it seems my wiring is from the 1960s LOL.

I have tried connecting to both the main sockets at the times when I have problems and I seem to be getting the same results. I game on both my PC and my xbox but mainly on the xbox with a wired connection (Ethernet). I tend to get dropped from the game and then a few seconds later I get a pop up telling me I have been disconnected from xbox live. I then have to go through the whole "test your connection to xbox live" **bleep** before it lets me connect again. It gets as far as my router every time but sometimes it just tells me there is no Internet connection at which point I wake up the PC and start testing on speedtest.net.

Also did the quiet line test and it seems fine.. There is a very dull constant buzz (corded phone NOT cordless) which is very hard to hear and could possible just be my imagination because I never hear pops, crackles etc.

sometimes when I get disconnected the broadband light on my hub will glow orange, other times it flashes orange or there is no light at all. I've read loads of complaints about this BT home hub and at first I thought it was that but I tested my old version 1.0 hub and its the same issue.

When I called on the 27th I had very low speed. Maybe could have been a sports event on or something like you say but it lasted for a few hours and I was struggling to get 500KGB/s at the best of times. At its worst it was less than 100KB/s. The guy on the phone was very nice! He apologised and registered the fault which doesn't seemd to have progressed in any way on the BT fault tracker thing. He said something about "reconfiguration" I didn't really catch what he said but maybe it was of importance...i really don't know. He told me to wait 4 days so I did.

Trying to catch my connection misbehaving on (what has become) a normal day is very hard with the BTspeed tester because when its bad its kinda all over the place. 1 second im getting maximum speed and the next I have nothing and obviously I can only do 1 BT test in an hour.

I wasn't getting cut off from xbox live at all up until a few weeks ago and im normally online every night playing with my friends when they get in from work. So no being able to do that anymore is obliviously majorly annoying.

Im sorry if flooding you with all this info has caused confusion!!! But its very confusing to me also!!

And you say its rare these days for the exchanges to be overcrowded but i checked out the exchange for Powys a few days ago and it was marked as being overcrowded and suffering with slow speeds at peak times. Powys is not very far from me and it was marked for upgrade in december. it seems to have been fixed now. here are the details for the Powys exchange:

Colour: GreenVP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Green.
Click here for further details
Colour: RedBT have advised that no current planned date for WBC on 21CN exists
Colour: UnknownYou can view recent Service Outages for this exchange here
Colour: UnknownBT has published DSL Max upgrade information for this exchange
Click here for further details

you can see the VP capacity was marked as red up untill a few days ago. its literly the next county over.

If nobody here can offer any more advice then could you please point me in the direction of sombody who can? i'v tryed ringing the call centers in india and its no help at all. i followed this link:-http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

and submited the form but nothing has happend. i know this is a customer to customer help forum but what do you have to do to get a moderators attention around here? or do they simply not care? does anybody care? please be brutaly honest with me if necessary!! have i pee'd y'all off by repeating issues that have been raised a million times on this forum?? if so IM VERY SORRY!! im a genuine idiot!!!

Thanks.

UPDATE (22:30pm)

Download speedachieved during the test was - 819 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :7616 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 6500 Kbps

Line stateConnected
Connection time1 day, 1:33:47
Downstream7,616 Kbps
Upstream448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)12.7 dB / 22.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)12.0 dB / 9.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)19.8 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)22
Loss of Signal (Local)2
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)408 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)11 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up)N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local)19

i dont know if that tells you anything new? the 2 "loss of signal" is probably when i changed the filter...twice. dont really get how to ping my exchange or if that would even show you anything. been trying to read up but im too tired. try again tomorrow. feel free to enlighten me if you wish.

0 Ratings
AlexanderRevell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 18

High ping, slow speeds.

Ok so I've been reading for a few hours. Done a trace to bbc.co.uk just to see what happened. Not having any problems right now but no doubt I will have this evening. Submitted the form to the mods 2 days ago (I think) so should hear back soon *fingers, toes etc all crossed*.

I did read something alarming about how resetting your router can cause your exchange to start thinking you have an unstable line.. Was resetting it every day for a while just before my problems all started. I had the hub set to powersave which obviously turns off the wireless so when I wanted to connect with my laptop I would reset it. Was doing that every day because I was too lazy too change the hub settings at the time but I may have been royally screwing myself 😞 need to read more...

Still don't understand how to ping my exchange... I ran the PING cmd to my I.P. And it was 1ms.. So im guessing that was just pinging my router? Read about a different cmd involving "domain name" but I don't get it... Don't know if my exchange has a domain name.. Thought that was a website thing.

Will continue to read and I am sorry for repeating so many things that have already been discussed in detail on this forum!! Obliviously had I stopped to read a while before making this lame thread I would not have had to ask nearly as many questions and you may have had a bit more patience for me 😞 but thank you so much for replying to this dumb newbie!!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 18

Re: High ping, slow speeds.

most of us were dumb newbies when we came to the forum so you are in good companySmiley Wink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 18

Hi the mods can take up to 72 hours to reply to you they are only a small team and every mail is dealt with in turn and personally they will reply to either by phone or email and correct you cannot ping your exchange also you are correct restarting the hub is the worse thing you can do as it will cause reductions in your IP profile that will then affect your download speed as imjolly said we were all newbies once ask away always glad to help
AlexanderRevell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 18

Thanks guys!!

Just got an email from Chris and sent him some details 🙂 he responded faster than i thought he would which im very happy about!!

Gonna continue to read up before i post any more dumb questions. should always read before posting!! leason learned 🙂

Thanks again guys!! you're truely legendary blokes! Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 18

we are glad to help any time ask any questions you want it is the best way to learn
0 Ratings