cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trevorh_211
Contributor
Message 11 of 21

Re: I was on 8 Mb was promised 20 Mb and they left me with 239Kbps!!!

Cheers John, that's what I have been looking for

ADSL line status
Connection Information
Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 19:34:31
Downstream4,498 Kbps
Upstream1,072 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationG.992.3 Annex A
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)10.1 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)45.6 dB / 23.1 dB
Output power (Down/Up)7.4 dBm / 1.6 dBm

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 21

Hi  Makokus

Thanks for the results without doubt your problems have been caused by repeated disconnections your noise margin is showing as 37db down which is very high normal default setting is 6db this will have a dramatic effect on your line speed as your attenuation figures show that with the correct noise figuresyou will have a very good connection indeed you must now ensure no restarts of the hub and make sure it is powered 24/7 for the next 5 days this should allow the exchange equipment to see your line as stable and reduce the noise level accordingly if after five days of stable connection you see no improvement then email the board mods at the following http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 and ask to have your noise margin reset also could you please post a bt speed test here as that will give further information about your connection speedtester.bt.com and post full results

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 21

@Trevorh_211 wrote:

I'm puzzled about all these changes I've apparently been making? I've fitted an I-plate which BT actually recommend, but I've not changed anything other than that.

sorry my answer was not in reply to yours but was in response to the originator of the post- this is happens when you post yor problem but are not the originator.  It does get confusingSmiley Wink

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 21

@Trevorh_211

can you go back to your stats page and post the errors - might have to 'show detail'

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jdowning640
Contributor
Message 15 of 21

With a low attenuation of 18.5, you should beb getting speeds of around 7.5Mbps on ADSL and speeds of 17-18Mbps on ADSL2+.

Keep on following the instructions of the guys above and hopefully the problem will be resolved. Just a quick question, if you plug a phone directly into the test socket (the one behind the front plate of your master socket) and dial '17070', then the option for 'Quiet Line Test', put your phone on secrecy and listen carefully. Is there any noise there? You shouldn't hear ANY noise what so ever. A tiny bit of noise can affect your broadband speed largely.

As well as this, if you get no noise on the test socket, plug the front plate back on and see if you get any noise through the normal master socket.

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 16 of 21

@imjolly wrote:

@Trevorh_211 wrote:

I'm puzzled about all these changes I've apparently been making? I've fitted an I-plate which BT actually recommend, but I've not changed anything other than that.

sorry my answer was not in reply to yours but was in response to the originator of the post- this is happens when you post yor problem but are not the originator.  It does get confusingSmiley Wink

Agreed 100% the only advice we should give to hijack posts is " start your own topic then we can help "

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
Makokus
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 21

FAQ

Start Test Image not loaded

The Performance Tester is now testing Broadband connection. Your configured download throughput speed for this service is 135 k

Please do not move away from this page and do not start any other download activity on your computer.

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of two tests

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed

0 Kbps

0 Kbps250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
 Download speedachieved during the test was - 0 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 100-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :239 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 320 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 0.0:0.0:9.2233718E16 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

212 Kbps

0 Kbps320 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 212 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 320 Kbps

This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.This might be useful for your ISP to investigate the fault.

What else can I say...just would like to know what the difference is between no service and 135Kbps...

Anyway...probably a good time to change my ISP

Thanks guys this is obviously BT not accepting there is a fault while charging me premium rate for a service they do not provide

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 21

Hi again the reason your ip profile is so low is a large number of disconnections this has also increased you line noise margin which will both reduce your speed changing providers will have no effect as it is a line problem that needs sorting as i explained ealier it takes up to 5 days of stable connection for the profile to rise and the noise margin to drop if there are continuing problems after that then you need to get the board moderators to intervene and get them reset and any line issues sorted you can contact them at http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 but you need to leave it five days before contacting them
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Trevorh_211
Contributor
Message 19 of 21

Hamish,

"Agreed 100% the only advice we should give to hijack posts is " start your own topic then we can help ""

My first time on the forum today. Apologies, I didn’t realise I was hi-jacking a thread. Another forum I post on the etiquette is not to start a fresh thread if one exists that covers the subject. The guidelines for the Forum don’t contradict that.

The advice given was to post my stats, not start my own thread, which I did. OP then responded, possibly seeing some activity, I’ll dip out now.

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 21

That is definitley below the fault threshold. Worth contacting the mods 🙂

0 Ratings