Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

IMAP server mail.btinternet.com not responding on iPhone 6S

Go to solution

Hi all

Am trying to set up my mail account on new iPhone 6S but get the IMAP error message about it not responding.

The only way I can get the mail account to actually appear is to accept that I don't want to use SSL and eventually I can Save the account but I may not be able to send or receive mails. Its only then that I can get access to the settings.

i have tried setting the ports to 465 and 993 for incoming and outgoing servers.

I don't know what to do about having SSL on or off or what authentication to use for both incoming and outgoing.

its a nightmare really, Apple say that as its an IMAP error message then I should speak to the email provider and BT are so monumentally useless that it beggars belief.

Someone please help... 🙂

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: IMAP server mail.btinternet.com not responding on iPhone 6S

Go to solution

@dirkf wrote:

Hi all

Am trying to set up my mail account on new iPhone 6S but get the IMAP error message about it not responding.

The only way I can get the mail account to actually appear is to accept that I don't want to use SSL and eventually I can Save the account but I may not be able to send or receive mails. Its only then that I can get access to the settings.

i have tried setting the ports to 465 and 993 for incoming and outgoing servers. The ports are 465 for Outgoing and 993 for Incoming, or is that just a typing error.

I don't know what to do about having SSL on or off or what authentication to use for both incoming and outgoing.

its a nightmare really, Apple say that as its an IMAP error message then I should speak to the email provider and BT are so monumentally useless that it beggars belief.

Someone please help... 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Yeah sorry. It was a mistake. It is as you say.

An update on the situation... I appear to be able to send mails but not receive them. It hasnot downloaded my mails or mailboxes either

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

You are best to set the email account up manually. If it doesn't give that option you need to put in an incorrect email address and and it should not verify and it will then give you the option to manually set it up.

You should delete your email account on your phone and set it up again.

1) When you delete the account you must switch off and restart your phone.

Go to your iPhone home screen and tap Settings.

Scroll down to Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

Tap Add Account.

Scroll down and tap Other.

Tap Add Mail Account.

Put the name you want people to see when they get mail from you in the Name field.

Enter your username in the Address field. For example, firstname.lastname@btinternet.com

Enter your password in the Password field.

In the Description field enter the name you want to use to identify the account.

Tap Next. If you get an error message at this point, tap OK.

Make sure that IMAP is selected at the top of the screen.

In the Incoming Mail Server section, change the Host Name to mail.btinternet.com

Now enter 993 in the Server port and set SSL to on.

Then scroll down to the Outgoing Mail Server section and change the Host Name to mail.btinternet.com

Now enter 465 in the Server port and set SSL to on.

Make sure the correct username and password are entered.

Tap Save.

Your settings will now be verified and you'll then see your Account screen. If this doesn't happen automatically tap your account to access your email.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

Hi, thanks for reply.

I tried all that before and i just re-tried it (making sure I deleted all other accounts and then restarted).

I get the same result. The account is there but doesn't work properly - no incoming mails and the list of email subdirectories I have is missing too, there is only an inbox, which is empty.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Are you still on the BTYahoo mail service or BT Mail? You can check here http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=EmailChecker

If you are still on BTYahoo, you could try using the Yahoo servers. imap.mail.yahoo.com and smtp.mail.yahoo.com

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Hi, thanks but didn't wok either.

I am on BT Yahoo mail so it allegedy uses mail.btinternet.com

The thing is I don't know if its a BT Yahoo issue or an iOS issue!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

I can't find the post now but I think there was another poster having a similar problem which cleared itself after he set it up and then left everything for a day or two.

The other thing to try is logging on via a web browser https://signin1.bt.com/login/emailloginform

and after doing that try accessing your email on the phone.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Ok, thanks to everyone who replied.

I fixed it in the end, by changing the name in the Name box just prior to email address.

So normally I would have expected to have

Name: Joe Bloggs

Email: joebloggs@btopenworld.com

password: blahblah99

but didn't work. However, this worked:

Name: joebloggs@btopenworld.com

Email: joebloggs@btopenworld.com

password: blahblah99

Who knows why?!...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

@dirkf wrote:

Ok, thanks to everyone who replied.

I fixed it in the end, by changing the name in the Name box just prior to email address.

So normally I would have expected to have

Name: Joe Bloggs

but didn't work. However, this worked:

Name: joebloggs@btopenworld.com

Who knows why?!...

Is that name field on the iPhone actually the username (this is what is used to login to the server)? The reason I ask because when you send an email from the phone, does the recipient see that name structure, or do you set that elsewhere ?

0 Ratings