cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 26

INFINITY 1 PLEASE HELP

Hi guys as you know from my previous posts...i have had noise on my phone line on and off for over a year..my cable from the street pole connects to a splitter box on the side of my house..and as u know,half of that cable was 40 years old..my download speed used to be 29mb 4 month ago..when i first got infinity..recently it has been 25mb....well today an engineer come here,he agreed there was noise on the line and told me he would replace it...i thought...great..finally....ilked outside a few mins later to find,all he has done is change the splitter box,and replace half the cable that was 40 yrs old...i went mad..i said for a few more mins u mite as well have replaced the lot...1 piece..as i thought thats what he was doing anyway...we now have new holes drilled in my home...and for what..half the cable to be changed....first of all...please give me your opinion on what he has done ? do i complain etc ?   secondly..i checked my download speed while he was here..it was exactly the same,as before he changed the cable....my noise margins are a lot higher..please explain ? my old stats are on here for you to compare...the only thing i can notice which i hope u mite tell me is good news..is my max data has gone up from around 31mp to 37mb...is there a chance my speed may go up ? like i say..at the moment im downloading at 25mb exactly the same as before..please help..here are my new stats today.

Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A) Last updated 21/01/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:07:51
6. Data rate:6000 / 26211
7. Maximum data rate:7889 / 37254
8. Noise margin:7.6 / 10.9
9. Line attenuation:31.2 / 26.4
10. Signal attenuation:31.1 / 23.7
0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: INFINITY 1 PLEASE HELP

the engineer looks like he has improved your conenction and now you need to maintain conenction and DLM will reduce your noise margin down to 6db and increase your connection speed nearer attainable.   however this could take a few weeks

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 26

hi im jolly..thanks for the reply...with my max data going up from around 31mb to 37mb do u think in time,my speed will increase ? like i say,im only downloading at 25mb and upload is 5.....bt said min 27mb and 6 upload should be my minimum...also just wondering why my noise level has gone up so much to 10..do u think if i leave my hh5 connected it will drop ? and finally...whats your opionion on engineer only replacing half the cable ? thanks again for your help

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 26

you need to maintain a stable connection 24/7 for the DLM to start reducing your noise margin back to 'normal' 6db and that will increase your connection speed.  as I said it can take a few weeks for this to happen

the engineer would do whatever he deemed necessary to sort your conenction - which seems to have worked

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 26

Re: INFINITY 1..PROBLEM

Hi guys it has now been 12 hours since the engineer left..my stats seem the same apart from max data this morning it read 37mb now its dropped to nearly 35..i thought my speed would go up

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (Type A) Last updated 21/01/15
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 10:10:48
7. Maximum data rate:7889 / 36183
8. Noise margin:7.6 / 10.9
10. Signal attenuation: 

? also everytime i check my hh5 downstream connection its stuck on 25.6 i can unplug my modem a dozen times..it stays on 25.6 mb downstream...i asked bt am i capped they said no...i asked for a dlm reset they said not yet....so 3 questions...why after 12 hours is my noise margin still sky high..it hasnt changed in 12 hours 10.9   also why is my downstream connection stuck on 25.6 ?  i have just checked my download speed exactly 25mb...no change since this morning...i just dont know what to do anymore...here are my latest stats

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 26

Your noise margin will stay at that level until you have a stable connection 24/7 for a few weeks when the DLM will reduce noise margin back down to 6db giving you an increase in speed. Your profile is 96.8% of connection speed so if speed does not change then neither will your profile.

You need to maintain a stable connection and DLM will sort out your connection automatically

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 26

so even tho my max data has dropped by nearly 2mb since this morning...do u think in time..my download speed will increase from 25mb ? its so frustrating cos in january..when first got infinity installed..i was downloading at 29mb every day..for weeks..then the problems started with noise on the line etc...speeds have never been the same since

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 26

Good morning guys..im jolly if your reading this can you please explain why my noise level has gone higher in last 24 hours,since i had half my cable replaced ? here are my morning stats

5. DSL uptime:0 days, 18:37:53
7. Maximum data rate:7889 / 36438
8. Noise margin:7.6 / 11.2
10. Signal attenuation:31.2 / 23.7
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 26

I'm a bit confused by this half cable you keep mentioning. Isn't the normal set up one section of cable from the pole to a termination box on the side of the house, and then a second section of cable from there to the master socket? Are you saying yours is in three sections?

Anyway you would expect that the engineer would use a testing device and would identify and replace any section(s) thought needing replacing. There may have been no need to replace all sections.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 26

Basically my cable is in 2 sections.....first section starts at pole in street..that goes to a splitter box on the side of my house..then the 2nd section comes also from the splitter box to inside my house (hall) thats were my mk3 master socket is...i just dont understand why my speed is stuck at 25,6mb it doesnt move now...but first few months it changed a bit every day..or if i unplugged my hh5 that would alter my speed...but for about a week now..its stuck at 25.6....im supposed to get min 27.4 max 36mb...i thought yesterday,after half the cable was replaced..my speed would jump up...but no...my noise margin jumped from 6 to 11 ?? strange...my max data went higher..from my usual 30 to 36mb.....but nothing has changed speed wise..just wondering what my chances are..of getting back to my old speeds of 29mb or more ?

0 Ratings