Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 11 of 26

Re: INFINITY 1 PLEASE HELP

@cobra7 wrote:

Basically my cable is in 2 sections.....first section starts at pole in street..that goes to a splitter box on the side of my house..then the 2nd section comes also from the splitter box to inside my house (hall) thats were my mk3 master socket is...

I don't think it's necessarily a 'splitter' box, more likely just the normal termination box that is on the side of most houses? I assume that if Openreach fed as single section all the way from the pole to the master socket inside the house that would make future maintenance/replacement much more difficult. It sounds to me as though you have the standard set up, though I'm no telecomms engineer. 

As already mentioned, you just need to leave the modem-router on 24/7 for two or three weeks and let the Dynamic Line Management do it's job. See if the noise margin drops to the target of 6dB and see if the sync rate increases. If it stays below the quoted minimum then you would need to follow it up with BT again.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 26

your max attainable speed will fluctuate all the time - mine does but as long as my actual stays the same then that's what counts.  Now my line is stable and has been apart from the 14 day resets the noise margin also fluctuates but only +/- 0.3db.  again as long as this does not impact on my conenction speed then I am not concerned

you now need to let your line stabilise and if you can maintain a stable connection then DLM will reduce your noise margin with target being 'normal' 6db and this in turn will increase your actual connection speed - your attainable will stay about the same

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 26

your attainable will stay about the same  <<<  what do u mean ? im currently downloading at 25mb..have been solidly for about two weeks...even yesterday,after half my cable was replaced im still downloading at 25mb.....in january i was downloading at 29mb constantly for weeks..until noise come on my line...then disconections etc...dragged my speed to 25...my ftcc says min 27,4  max 36.....here are my current stats..my data rate has stayed at 26211 for weeks...but since half my cable was changed yesterday..the max data rate has gone a lot higher its now 36505  is there a chance my download speed may go above 30mb ? if my line stabalises or are u telling me 26mb will be my max ? cos if 26mb is going to be my max..ill be contacting bt again...

5. DSL uptime:0 days, 23:15:53
6. Data rate:6000 / 26211
7. Maximum data rate:7901 / 36505
8. Noise margin:7.7 / 11.2
9. Line attenuation:31.2 / 26.4
10. Signal attenuation:31.2 / 23.7
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 14 of 26

I have had a bt phone line for over 40 years....but only got broadband..infinity 1 for the first time in january..so this is all new to me..all id like to know is..after reading my posts..and looking at todays stats...do u think my download speed will eventually increase from 25mb  ?  thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 26

Serious question, why this obsession with your speed? Unless you are downloading huge files on a regular basis or streaming multiple HD films simultaneously, you will not notice any difference between 25M and 36M in day to day use.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 16 of 26

The downstream noise margin is still at lot higher than the normal target of 6. If the engineer has fixed the cause of any noise then DLM may reduce the noise margin which should allow for an increase in line rate (sync speed). If however there is still an issue with noise then the DLM may keep the noise margin high and your sync speed might not change. You will just have to wait and see what happens.

Is the line or signal attenuation any different to what it was before the engineer visit? That might give a clue.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 26

your download has not changed because your actual connection speed has not changed- untill your noise margin reduces and your connection speed moves nearer your attainable your download speed will stay the same

what I said was your attainable will fluctuate with line conditions but your current connection speed will stay the same  provided you maintain a stable connection the DLM will reduce your noise margin which will increase your actual connection speed which in turn will give a higher profile and therefore a faster download speed

you just have to wait and hope conenction remains stable after engineer fixed your conenction

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 18 of 26

I agree that a drop from 29 to 25 is nothing major and nothing compared to the problems some people have. I suspect that the only reason BT and Openreach sent an engineer is because you are synced at below the clean minimum estimate of 27 which makes it worthy of investigation. 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 19 of 26

Stat 6, data rates, is what is also often referred to as line rates, sync rates or sync speeds. The HH5 modem has synchronised with the cabinet at those speeds. You want that to hopefully increase in the next couple of weeks if the cable replacement has made a difference.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 20 of 26

Oh, and 'connection speeds' is usually yet another name for the same thing. 🙂

Down/up IP Profiles are slightly different. Your up IP Profile will be set to 10Mbps. Your down IP Profile will be set to 96.79% of the down data rate. You shouldn't expect real world download speeds any higher than the down IP Profile.

Take my connection downstream figures as an example.
I'm synced at 40Mbps (the Infinity 1 cap).
My IP Profile is 38.72mbps as expected.
On a clear day with the wind behind me I can get over 38Mbps on a speed test, though 34-37 is more usual.
0 Ratings