cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 371 of 420

Re: INFINITY Network wide Issues.. - IMPORTANT

..but frankly, I could not really give a toss. It isn't runnign right and that is all that matters. Someone needs to fix it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 372 of 420

Re: INFINITY Netwrok wide Issues.. - IMPORTANT

omg, stop proliferating this BULL!!

it has nothing to do with your freaking proxy to the internet

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 373 of 420

Hi Guys

The issues being described sound like separate ones to the larger fault previously mentioned in this thread.

I can have each case investigated on an individual basis, drop an email to the address in my profile with the subject line "Infinity Fault" and I can get it chased up for you.

Please remember to include your BT account number, telephone number and a link to this thread.

Cheers

Stuart

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 374 of 420

@IanC wrote:

It's not possible, with any worthwhile degree of accuracy, to determine your location from an IP address.

I am aware of that, however... before I started getting all of these speed issues, my IP address showed as being Worthing, which is less than 50 miles from me, as soon as I started getting issues it moved to Leeds, speed test.net prevoiously gave me best results when using Maidenhead (in the south, near me), but now gives me best ping and speed throughput when testing against Morecambe (in the north, near Leeds)

I have tried this link on several connections and it usually comes up with a location within 50 miles, the only time I've seen it come up with something random like 200+ miles is since I started having these major problems

something to do with the routing of all of my traffic has changed, possibly due to the major outage last week something has "failed over" to an alternative route just to maintain a connection, albeit not a very good one

IF whatever had failed has been repaired, it is possible that something is holding this back up route instead of correctly re-initialising back to the "good" route it previously had

I'm just a customer, but I used to be a network engineer (non-BT), I told BT Tier 2 Support about my old worthing new problematic Leeds IP issue and he said to me that there  could be a problem with how my traffic is being routed (confirming what I thought without me having put those words in his mouth)

London is much closer to me than Leeds, so even if there is something wrong in Worthing, I would have though that my traffic should be going via London instead of Leeds

most likely something somewhere just needs resetting

thinking about it, I'm going to try turning off my VDSL router and hub for an hour or so and see if I can kick my connection in to dropping whatever it's holding on to and re-initialise all my connectivity

I know that on ADSL BT use RADIUS servers and they routinely hold data in their cache for 60 minutes before clearing - if you only power down and back up within that time it restarts the 60 minute timer and doesn't properly clear out your old connection... presumably FTTC still works on a similar system

worth a try

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 375 of 420

andybird456 wrote:

IanC wrote:

It's not possible, with any worthwhile degree of accuracy, to determine your location from an IP address.

I am aware of that, however... before I started getting all of these speed issues, my IP address showed as being Worthing, which is less than 50 miles from me, as soon as I started getting issues it moved to Leeds, speed test.net prevoiously gave me best results when using Maidenhead (in the south, near me), but now gives me best ping and speed throughput when testing against Morecambe (in the north, near Leeds)

So, your IP address has changed. Where some website guesses you're at is largely irrelevant.

I have tried this link on several connections and it usually comes up with a location within 50 miles, the only time I've seen it come up with something random like 200+ miles is since I started having these major problems

It apparently some 160 miles from where I'm actually located.

The point at which you access BTs network can usually be seen in the name of the machine at hop 2 of a traceroute. I'm currently connected through Milton Keynes, some 30 miles from where I'm actually located.

something to do with the routing of all of my traffic has changed,

Quite possibly.  In light of your comments elsewhere, have you visited:

http://preferences.webaddresshelp.bt.com/selfcare/preferences.cgi

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 376 of 420

So, your IP address has changed. Where some website guesses you're at is largely irrelevant.

Left my router off over night, I now have a "London" IP address

The point at which you access BTs network can usually be seen in the name of the machine at hop 2 of a traceroute. I'm currently connected through Milton Keynes, some 30 miles from where I'm actually located.

On a traceroute, my traffic was taking 7 or 8 bounces within the BT network before connecting to the outside world via Ilford, and often it was timing out altogether

as of this morning with my "London" ip address, Ilford is 3rd on the list

Quite possibly.  In light of your comments elsewhere, have you visited:

http://preferences.webaddresshelp.bt.com/selfcare/preferences.cgi

yes I had, but that didn't make any difference

anyway, for me, leaving my router off overnight seems to have fixed the problems

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 377 of 420

I can vouch for the leaving off the equipment for a few hours.

I did so last night and now aND HOLDING STEADY AT:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed

29606 Kbps

0 Kbps38717 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

> Download speedachieved during the test was - 29606 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 12000-38717 Kbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is -38717 Kbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed

8216 Kbps

0 Kbps10000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 8216 Kbps
 Additional Information:
 Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 10000 Kbps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 378 of 420

oops, spoke toooo soon......gone again:(

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 379 of 420

BT have robbed me of 5Mbps. I no longer get 36Mbps that I used to regularly get since the big underhand **bleep**-up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 380 of 420

Thanks for that offer StuartH...the e-mail is winging its way to you as we speak.

Any help you can give will be much appreciated as after 3 weeks I am at my wits end.

Oh, and tonight a whopping 1.3mb/s!!!

Capture3.JPG

0 Ratings