cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gazpacho
Contributor
Message 1 of 23

INFINITY installation booked for 27 April

At last I got the email from BT to say Infinity is now available in my area. I was on the phone and got it all booked in for 27 April, so my question.

What can I do to best assist the engineer. Should I have all the appliances that access the net switched on so that he can test them all or does he just connect it up and go ?

Appliances: Wired PC, 2 x laptops, PS3, Sony blueray player, BT vision box, Iphone

If there is any other advise anyone can give to help it all go smoothly, I would be very grateful

Thanks

John

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Andydigital
Contributor
Message 2 of 23

Re: INFINITY installation booked for 27 April

Take a look at the BT web page below it has all the information you require, including videos too. http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=29023
Cheers, Andy.
Tags (2)
0 Ratings
Starman
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 23

You'll require two power sockets at the location where you would like the Openreach modem and HomeHub installed. This will normally be at your master socket but the BT Openreach engineer can install a data extention kit which is normally pinned to the skirting for upto 30m.

Other than that the engineer will conduct a speedtest at your computer to confirm access and you should be good to go.

----
BT Infinity (EASTF) 58.93/15.94 Mbps [IP Profile: 60.8/20 Mbps] using Openreach Modem & Billion BiPAC 7800N

0 Ratings
gazpacho
Contributor
Message 4 of 23

Thanks Andy, that link has it all ......... hmmm wonder why I didnt find it !

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
gazpacho
Contributor
Message 5 of 23

Thanks for that Starman. I am on HH2 at the moment, but noticed taht with HH3 I get a modem. So its gonna be two pieces of hardware as opposed to the HH2 which is a standalone ?
0 Ratings
Andydigital
Contributor
Message 6 of 23

Yes thats correct, you get a white Openreach VDSL2 modem which plugs into your master socket (engineer will change the socket) and you also get the HH3 which will plug into the white Openreach modem with an ethernet cable. This is why you need two free power sockets.
Cheers, Andy.
0 Ratings
jweb2k
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 23

He won't test all your equipment apart from the main computer you use / computer of your choice. You'll do a speedtest on it and that'll be it (I had to do the Vision+ box by myself and the other laptops / aPad / media players etc but it's no trouble.)

To make my visit quicker I plugged in the HH3.0 box, had the powerline adapters for the vision box already plugged in (and the V+ box itself) so all he had to do was change the faceplace, plug in the white modem to the HH3 and do his testing bits, took around half an hour.

0 Ratings
gazpacho
Contributor
Message 8 of 23

thanks for that Andy. I have two sockets in my livingroom, do you know if it would it be easy for the engineer to swap them over and make the more convenient one the master socket or would BT charge me for that ?

0 Ratings
gazpacho
Contributor
Message 9 of 23

glad you told me that JWEB ..... i would have had all my appliences lined up ready for him LOL. I guess the one  piece of equipment he will test can be wifi and does not need to be wired !

This time tomorrow all should be up and running ...................

0 Ratings
Andydigital
Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Sorry I've no idea, I suppose it depends on how much work is involved, if you have a few phone extension sockets in various rooms around your home he will probably want to run a data extension kit through instead, as I beleive that involves less work for the engineer.
Cheers, Andy.
0 Ratings