cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PoMoPink
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

IP Address 'Compromised' by Nigeria

My dad has just had a phone call from BT saying that their IP address was compromised by Nigeria on Saturday, and that they are going to change the IP address, and an engineer will call round to change the hub for a new one on Friday.

Is it at all possible that this is legitimate, as it sounds dodgy as hell and like some sort of scam? He says he didn't give them any information at all. He's scared by anything technical and this has him worried.

My mum was out of the house with her laptop at the time of the call, so no danger that anyone'e been given access to it. They were away at the weekend, with me staying at the house and only accessing the Internet via wifi on an iPad. No computers were on on Saturday.

Is there a number at BT I can get him to call that will get him through to an actual person he can confirm this with?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: IP Address 'Compromised' by Nigeria

Its a scam. IP adressses are dynamic and will change whenever the home hub is restarted

Tell him not let anyone in the house, and if he is concerned, then call the police.

Did he tell the caller his address?

This sound like another variation of the water board and electricity board confidence tricksters.

0 Ratings
PoMoPink
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Thanks.

He said they made multiple calls and were quite insistent.

Also that he gave them no info at all, so didn't give them the address. I've reiterated that with them and to not even admit to having a computer if any calls like that happen, never mind letting anyone install anything on them.

Hopefully that'll be the end of it.

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 4 of 5

I hope they ring @smf22. He posted a little while ago about the fun he has with scammers; and I think he'd particularly enjoy this one!

p

0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 5 of 5

It's definetly a scam that I'd report to the police. Might just be looking for more personal details, access to the house, maybe even replace hub with compromised device to try and steal passwords e.g. For online banking.

0 Ratings