Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
RocketBoy
Message 1 of 14

IP Blacklist

I am on BT infinity 
We have dynamic ip assigned,

emails sent have not been reaching their intended places in the past 2 weeks, and so after a little digging I find that some are not arriving at all, and everything else is going into the spam bin,

my ip address is on 5 blacklists, so I changed it, and again, and again, 
until DUH! I realised that a simple test would be to check anything on the ip block  86.146.22.**

everything I entered showed up as blacklisted,  Spamhaus ZEN  SORBS DUHL  SEM BLACK  Chile DNSBL BARRACUDA

I spoke to BT's offshore technical assistance, who obviously dont understand the problem, and spent more than 2 hours faffing about talking to "my supervisor", escalating me to lvl 2, and amazing me with nonsense. They told me if my ip is blocked then I need to call the people who I bought the computer from. heh heh !! 

So, here I am, annoyed, and frustrated that British Telecom cannot provide somebody who appears to have the slightest bit of knowledge in this matter.

the bottom line is: BT provide the ip, (btcentralplus) and we pay for that, 86.146.22.** has no valid SPF record
(I'm not going to pretend I have any idea why that matters, but one of you might know)

we need an ip to use the www and send stuff, thats what we pay for,

and so, what BT is providing is not fit for purpose ?

does anyone know how to contact somebody in BT who might actually know something about blackists and open relays

my only option is to quickly change isp

thanks

http://mxtoolbox.com

http://www.blacklistcheck.com/

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Oliver341
Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: IP Blacklist

Which SMTP server are you using to send email?

Oliver.
0 Ratings
duncan10
Expert
Message 3 of 14

I thought this was normal I am on  ZEN and a few others. Sometimes my IP changes and then the blackilist goes down to near zero. I have changed it a few times but BT seems to have spamers etc constantly on a lot of their ips . THere,s a lot worse than that out there tracking for example and I am talking major internet operators including CP but I have to accept them doing it. BUt still get breadfruit.Ltd-level 3 Communications trying to track me --blocked both. For those that think that level is a good company and only does good. Sorry to disapoint. I found a website where US citizens are kicking up -ell about that company.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

just restart your hub and you will automatically be assigned a new IP Address
0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 5 of 14

Rocketboy it sounds like you are attempting to use a local SMTP server within your network to send email thats not going to work properly as most spam blacklists include the known IP address ranges for ISPs broadband/narrowband connections. You are going to have to send email via an SMTP server. This is totally outside of BT's control.

0 Ratings
RocketBoy
Message 6 of 14

Hi Oliver, Im sending directly from webmail, hosted at Heart Internet
0 Ratings
RocketBoy
Message 7 of 14

Yeah, it only assigns a new one within the block, and the whole block is blacklisted, thats why I say its BT's problem
0 Ratings
RocketBoy
Message 8 of 14

Using webmail at Heart Internet, it does carry the originating ip, I'm trying an SPF on the DNS of my domains
0 Ratings
Jonkarra
Expert
Message 9 of 14

@RocketBoy wrote:
Using webmail at Heart Internet, it does carry the originating ip, I'm trying an SPF on the DNS of my domains

Thats not how SPF is supposed to work. SPF should only be checking the IP address of the sending STMP server. ie if your PC is on 80.80.80.10 and connects to an SMTP server(client doesnt matter webmail, outlook etc) which has IP address of 101.101.9.8, the recieving SMTP server should do a dns lookup for the SPF record and check to ensure the smtp server(101.101.9.8) is a valid mail server for your domain. Something is misconfigured somewhere.

0 Ratings
Oliver341
Expert
Message 10 of 14

@RocketBoy wrote:

Delete your SPF record and send again. If the email is still rejected then it's Heart Internet who need to get their SMTP server de-listed from the blacklist.

Oliver.
0 Ratings