cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
normacoster
Message 1 of 4

IP PROFILE/DOWNLOAD SPEED DOWN AFTER LINE FAULT, HOW DO I GET IT RESET??? PLEASE HELP

Hello everyone I am new to this forum stuff but have always looked at the different issues and fixes. Today I need some help of my own with a problem. , My broadband download speed has always been 6.5 to 7.2 mb. Recently there was lots of noise on my line. An engineer visited and replaced the line. The question I have is  that my Ip profile has gone down to 5000kbps. My download speed has also gone down, anywhere from 3meg to 4 meg. From similar previous issues with my broadband in the past, my bras profile has needed to be reset. But this apparently can only be done by bt wholesale. I have tried ringing 150 and I get nowhere with my query. They keep going through a ridiculous process of getting me to try new filters etc. Today I ran speedtester.bt.com and i gave the results to the customer service team and he kept quoting the downstream figure (6048kbps), but I couldn't get across that this figure is not the same as my download speed(4319kbps), and my ip profile is capped at 5000kbps.  6months ago, an engineer visited my home, plugged something in my telephone socket. He said he couldn't do anything at my property with the line because its old technology here. So he got on the phone to BT WHolesale and got them to reset my bras profile??? Basically, I think this is whats needed again. PLEASE HELP????? any ideas??? thanks 

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: IP PROFILE/DOWNLOAD SPEED DOWN AFTER LINE FAULT, HOW DO I GET IT RESET??? PLEASE HELP

your profile is correct for your current connection speed  check here  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm

you need to get a faster connection speed to get a higher profile not the other way round

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Re: IP PROFILE/DOWNLOAD SPEED DOWN AFTER LINE FAULT, HOW DO I GET IT RESET??? PLEASE HELP

As imjolly has posted your IP Profile is correct for your connection speed to get to the next profile level 5500k you need a connection speed of at least 6.2mb as has been posted before the faster your connection speed the higher your profile
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

If you post the full stats from your router
For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser
Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.
also post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/
Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal
also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’

0 Ratings