Thanks for the reply.
Although it's possible, i don't really buy the idea that the speed has dropped as a result of others taking up Infinity in the area, like i said, the speed maxed out at 60Mbps for a year, then as soon as i change my setup/move lines it drops, i think theres enough evidence to suggest that this had an effect in some way.
Something has clearly gone wrong somwhere, which means it should be something that can be fixed or at least looked into. If it can't be then i will certainly downgrade to Infinity 1 but i think my next step will be to ring BT directly to get to the bottom of it.
You haven't posted your estimated speeds as per http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome so this may not be relevant but if you check your estimated speed and if it transpires you are within the "A Range" for your line BT will be very unlikely to do anything to hep. If however you are out side the estimate they should at the least attempt to locate and fix any problem.
When you do the check keep in mind it is not your download speed that you need to check, it is the connection speed that is relevant.
when you say 'then as soon as i change my setup/move lines it drops' what actual changes did you make especially the bit about moved lines
I guess i'm within the range? but isn't it strill strange that my max downloadable speed/ip profile used to match the numbers in the screenshot above and now it's gone down?
Basically the changes i made were as follows...The master socket & HH5 were in the hall with all my devices connected wirelessly but i wanted to wire everything i could up, so rather than wire everything from the hall i called BT and asked them to first move the master socket into the office upstairs because this is where many of the devices are located. After BT installed the socket i immediately replaced the HH5 with an Openreach modem + Asus AC88U router combo and wired up the other devices.
Naturally i did a speed test straight away and everything was the same as before, usually it would hover anywhere between 57-59Mbps, never saw it actually hit 60Mbps, just like now it hovers around 47-49Mbps and it's never actually hit 50Mbps. So basically the changes seem to have done something to my sync speed and lowered my ip profile by 10Mbps. (roughly)
Anyone with any thoughts?
Actually had a BT engineer come today, unfortunatley i was at work so my girlfriend had to let him in, he said the speed was probably down to our distance from the exchange and he got a speed test result of '55 at one point' something that i havent been able to replicate.
So has the exchanged moved in the last month? Because i was close enough to get 60Mbps then, but apparently it's perfectly normal for my speed to go down randomly after a year of no issues with no explanation.
Edit: Because the engineer said he got 55Mbps at one point then that makes me wonder if my equipment is somehow to blame, i read in another thread of a persons speed dropping when they switched from the Home Hub to an Openreach modem + Router combo and the Openreach modem version wasn't compatible with G.INP?
This is the Openreach modem i bought.
Could this be the cause of my issues?
Basically what you have done is increase your line length although one wouldn't expect it to impact so much so perhaps uptake and crosstalk is also in play.
It would have been better to leave the modem at the master socket and run an ethernet cable up to your router.
Ok just to clear things up.
I am fully aware that i am within the expected range and that i am getting what BT said i would get, that couldn't be more crystal clear and if i had done a speed test on day one and seen that i could only get a maximum of 50.9Mbps then i would immediately downgraded to Infinity 1 and make a saving, everyone's happy.
But the point is that SINCE i have made changes to my setup my speed has been capped 10Mbps lower, something had to have caused this. Hell, even if i was getting 30Mbps but my maximum was 60Mbps i wouldnt be complaining, i'd just put it down to a slow day but the point is that it's impossible for me to get higher than 50.9Mbps.
I also go back to my point about the Engineer getting 55Mbps, unless he was lying how was he able to get this speed but no other device has been able to get this speed for months? I have literally never seen it go over 50Mbps.
You have to understand that in my position i don't want to downgrade to Infinity 1 if i can fix it and keep getting Infinity 2 because let's say the issue fixes itself in the future? I'll never know, i'll forever think it's not worth upgrading Infinity 2 speeds based on this event.
Edit: I wouldn't have thought going up a floor would make a 10Mbps difference in speed? Currently the modem is plugged into the master socket then that is plugged into the router. It made sense to move the socket to one of the two rooms that contained stationary devices and routing one wire to the other room, rather than having several sets of wires going from a central location.
The maximum data rate reported in the hub/modem is key.
If your connection speed is similar to this, within a meg or 2, you're not capped and it's down to either, the line length/extensions/crosstalk.
If the max rate is say 10meg more, then potentially a banded profile.
With an IP profile of 50.9meg, your sync rate will be just shy of 53meg. The engineer getting a sync of 55meg is not something to really be concerned about. Their tester will test at exactly 6db noise margin and he would have likely tested from the master socket.
Different modems will perform differently on different lines.
A home hub on my line syncs at 1.1meg. Using my Billion router I can get 2.7meg.
That's a heck of a difference @Webby