cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kirill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

IP Profile OK, but down speed is extremely slow. Any ideas?

Go to solution

Hi all, a picture speaks a thousand words - any ideas, guys? Signed up to BT Total broadband unlimited, promised speed of around 8Mbps, got activated earlier than suggested, but ever since (around 10 days now) been on extremely slow down speed. Strangely enough, the up speed is at its max according to the profile. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I need quick internet for work, so if this cannot be easily fixed, I'm gonna have to exercise my right to cancel I'm afraid.

In fact, was mislead by BT several times already - when I checked what I can get in terms of Internet - it showed that I could get BT total broadband now and Infinity at the beginning of October. So I figured I can wait a bit, paid a fortune for BT WiFi, kept checking, then Infinity date moved to December, and then later to February next year. This is misleading and if I knew from the start I'd be having these problems and it would cost me so much - I'd be using some O2 payg unlimited broadband already.

Anyway, got a couple more days to decide whether to terminate or not, so any help would be great. Many thanks in advance.

1.jpg

0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: IP Profile OK, but down speed is extremely slow. Any ideas?

Go to solution

Hi Welcome to the forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution

Termination of contract will be expensive as you will be liable for the entire of your remaining contract
you rights to cancel for no charge ends once the service goes live 

As to infinity the dates given are place holding dates only and not definate activation dates BT Retail your supplier get  the information from Openreach who are carrying out the fibre rollout these dates can be delayed for many reasons including planning permission blocked and damaged cable ducts lack of suitable electricity supplys nd many morethis link explains more http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/the-big-build/

0 Ratings
Kirill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

Thanks for quick reply. I understand the main terms of contract, however if I'm not getting the service I was promised, then surely there's a clause somewhere that would allow me to cancel the service for free. I have an email from BT confirming the expected speed and the varience of +/- 2 Mb or something like that. I'm nowhere near that speed with my 150Kb per second (the reality is a lot worse, actually, I hardly ever get more than 10Kb/s when downloading stuff). I'll go through the steps once I get home (in the office at the moment and I think I need to be on my BT landline), was just wondering if anyone had a quick fix. What is strange to me is that the uplink is at its maximum profile stated capacity. Thought maybe somebody had a similar issue before.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution
if you post the information asked for in the link when you get home we can then try and help you further
0 Ratings
Kirill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution
ASDL stats just now:

1.jpg

0 Ratings
Kirill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

And the bt speed test results, just now...I don't understand why the line, capable of 4Mbps according to ADSL stats is doing 0.01Mbps ...

2.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

Hi the low speed is being caused by the errors shown on your ADSL stats 

are you connected to the test socket also what was the result of the quiet line test 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution

The slow speed is due to the CRC errors, these are uncorrected errors.

Your latency needs to be changed from fast to interleaved, this will introduce error correction.

In theory it should change itself, if you leave it connected all the time, but

If you would like to contact one of the UK based BT Care Team who moderate this forum, they should be able to change it to interleaved for you.

They can be contacted using this link BT Care Team

They normally respond by phone or e-mail, within three working days, however you should get an immediate confirmation, with a tracking number.

Kirill
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution

I've done the quiet line test yesterday - no noise as far as I could tell.

We live in an apartment block, only one BT socket I can see - I've unplugged the only telefone connected (its a wired phone, don't use it anyway), so BT Home hub 3 is connected directly to the only BT socket, via the filter. I can unscrew the socket and try the test one - but don't see any point since nothing else is connected to the line. Should I try it anyway?

0 Ratings