cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattberryman
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

IP Profile Too Low?

A BT engineer recently visited home to resolve some problems I was having with slow broadband speeds (max speed was ~1.8Mbps). He fitted an NTE5 faceplate and since then, speeds have improved dramatically to around 3.4Mbps.

I have a very stable line, and had been synced at 4000kbps with an IP Profile of 3.5Mbps for over four days. However, after using the Kitz max speed calculator with my line attenuation of 51.1dB, I think I should be have an IP Profile of 4Mbps.

So, I restarted my HomeHub 2 to attempt to resync at a higher speed, but it has actually fallen to 3808kbps (I can't find out what my IP Profile is currently as I have already run one speedtest within the last 60min - as soon as I can find out, I'll share on here).

Attached are the results from my recent BT speedtest, and the ADSL line stats from immediately before my recent restart.

Am I being overly optimistic of my line being able to support an IP Profile of 4Mbps? Should I be able to squeeze out a bit more performance than I'm currently getting? I am connected to the HARBURY exchange and so still using ADSL Max.

Look forward to hearing your views.

Cheers, Matt

EDIT: Corrected reference of ADSL2 to ADSL Max.

bt_speedtest_results.png

adsl line stats.png

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: IP Profile Too Low

Your estimated speed is shown below.

Estimation of your maximum rate adaptive adsl speed

Downstream
Attenuation
dB Approx
Line Length
km

dslMAX kbps IP Profile kbps

Which type of master socket do you have?

One of these

NTE5_fl[1].jpg

Or one of these

LJU2_front[1].jpg

Or if you are lucky

One of these

adsl faceplate.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

4meg on a 51db attenuation is a good connection rate. You won't get much more, and if you do, it might be slightly less stable.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

you are not on adsl2 but adslmax up to 8mb

in order to get a higher profile you need to get a faster connection speed and to get a 4mb profile you need a connection speed of at least 4544 which is possible on a good line with no noise problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mattberryman
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

I have one of the dual-socket ones (picture 3).

0 Ratings
mattberryman
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

imjolly,

Any suggestions for how to get a faster connection speed? Do I just need to restart my router periodically to see whether I can get it to sync at or over 4544?

Thanks, Matt

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

@mattberryman wrote:

I have one of the dual-socket ones (picture 3).

If you are plugged into the ADSL socket on the front, then you are not going to be able to improve anything at your end.

You will have to hope that the exchange is upgraded to ADSL2+ at some point.

Restarting the router too many times, will make matters worse.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

if only that would work but sadly that won't help and could make it worse.

there is little you can do with the socket as filtered faceplate is the best way to connect.  A shielded cable from router to socket to eliminate any interference and also check this post for other ideas 

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mattberryman
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Thanks Keith.

The exchange is due to be upgraded to ADSL2+ in May so hopefully I'll see a small improvement then.

Regards, Matt

0 Ratings
mattberryman
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Thanks for that suggestion.

I'll see whether one of those shielded cables improves matters.

Regards, Matt

0 Ratings