cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manville
Contributor
Message 31 of 104

Re: IP Profile and broadband speed keeps dropping

A switched on customer service agent or a forum moderator can change the line speed (if you e-mail them then you will get a response in about 3 days).

It will of course deteriorate if you are having disconnections and slow sync speeds.

Can you access the Event Log on your Hub? - Under "Troubleshooting" on the right side. You will find a bunch of lines about DSL down after x minutes up time, and show you the sync speed when it reconnected (often lowest in the middle of the night). Lots of these might indicate a noise problem. The slowest sync speed is what sets the IP profile (that's only, if you are on the old system, the new system resets to 88.2% of your current sync speed each time you reconnect). I found a workaround was to turn the hub off in the night when most of these occurred to keep my IP profile up. But then occasionally got duff sync speeds during the day anyway so it didn't work particularly well.

0 Ratings
ET
Contributor
Message 32 of 104

It seems that I really need to erradicate any problems my extension lead may be causing. 

So it's up to me now to decide how best I could do that.  

Apart from advise on who I need to contact (and how to contact them) so that my Noise band & IP Profile can be changed, am I right in thinking that I really should get rid of the extension lead before I connect up the replacement hub.

That is will the replacement hub come with Noise band set at 3-6db and IP Profile at 2.5Mbps only to possibly go the way of my current Hub.     

0 Ratings
manville
Contributor
Message 33 of 104

As I understand it IP profile and Noise margin are set on your line not the router.

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 34 of 104

It doesn't matter what router you use, because it doesn't set your Noise Margin or IP profile.  Thats set by something called Dynamic Line Management which is an automated system built into the equiptment at the exchange.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
manville
Contributor
Message 35 of 104

A new router may be better able to hold onto your line. If you disconnect less, your noise margin should automatically fall (although it does get stuck sometimes and needs manual intervention) The lower your noise margin setting the faster the exchange and router will be able to synchronise and then the IP profile should rise to follow. Remembering your IP orifile will never match your sync speed as there is a significant amount of traffic overhead (+ other technical reasons).

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Ian1957
Aspiring Expert
Message 36 of 104

ET, is it possible at all to mOve your hub next to the master socket via power extension lead just for now while we try and diagnose what is wrong? 🙂
0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 37 of 104

Ahhh, something just popped into my mind, is this extension thats plugged into the front of the master, a flat or twisted extension? If its flat then that may be why its picking up all the interference?
0 Ratings
ET
Contributor
Message 38 of 104

If the noise margin and IP Profile is a line management thing then the new hub will just carry on with the same noise margin, IP Profile and speeds that my current Hub does. 

I now understand that line management is automatic, but how do I get manual intervention with the noise margin so that the IP Profile & speed increase.

Does leaving the hub connected mean leaving the power on the hub with internet explorer open all the time, or just leaving the power on with the computer shut down ?

If a flat extension line is defined as a line that is physically flat then I have a flat extension line.

0 Ratings
ET
Contributor
Message 39 of 104

Sorry just realised that Gouledw has already told me how to contant the mod and request an SNR reset

0 Ratings
gouledw
Recognised Expert
Message 40 of 104

Then yes thats the most likely cause of your broadband fault, the flat extension lead.  They absolutely have horrible affects on broadband!

And with the manual intervention from the mods, please be aware your line may become even more unstable.  Here's the link http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 they take around 3 days to contact you. 🙂

0 Ratings