cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 81 of 104

Re: IP Profile and broadband speed keeps dropping

If the setup (plugged into the test socket) results in a good gain in download speed. I assume that to consolodate those gains I will have to fit an I-Plate (BT Accelerator) to the master socket?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 82 of 104

better fitting a filtered faceplate - that means that router is connected to faceplate and you connect your extension cable to phone socket on faceplate and do away with any filters.

downside is your router must be connected to the faceplate as any extension sockets in other rooms will not provide a broadband connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 83 of 104

After speaking to BT Customer care yesterday morning (3/9/11) by mid afternoon my download speed, IP Profile and acceptable range of speeds had improved (back to the two day improvement of 30/8/11).

The Hub stats however seem to be much the same as when my download speeds were low.

I have made no changes and my set up is exactly as before. (as per sketch and photograph posted earlier)

The second line of support rang me and said that some work on my line had been completed and to monitor my broadband over the next few days.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 84 of 104

the choice to make the changes suggested is yours and maybe one day you might try the suggestions.  Be interested to see if you get any improvement after the work on your line - that appears to be a current theme from support

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 85 of 104

Because I lost the improvement of 30/8/11 in only 2 days, in regard to this latest improvement in connection speed, download speed and IP profile, I must admit I do fear a repeat of that experience.

Nevertheless in the interest of stability (BT Line not mine Smiley Happy ) I am just leaving things alone for a few days.

Regardless of the outcome of the wait, I do intend to follow the suggestions made by several community members and change my set up as per the sketch below.

I believe that the set up shown in my sketch is the one that is being advised. Please correct me if it isn't.

If I get a marked improvement I will most likely fit an I-Plate (BT Accelerator), simply because I am so "fingers & thumbs" at anything as intricate as working with tiny telephone wires & connections.

CIMG0009.JPG

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 86 of 104

the diagram is as I suggested (apart from using test socket) before and should improve your speed.  I would recommend a filtered faceplate instead of an Iplate (accelerator) and fiddly wires are only the extension socket wires connect to the front face.

removing the orange bellwire on terminal 3 in all sockets will give the same and maybe better result than the iplate

Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 87 of 104

That set-up is fine, however instead of fitting an I-Plate, when you access the test socket, remove the bell (ring) wire from the connecters. It is wire 3 and is orange with White stripes/White with orange.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 88 of 104

So by disconnecting the bellwire I should not need to fit either an I-Plate or the flitered faceplate?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 89 of 104

no the bellwire is similar to fitting an iplate but regardless of that you will still need a filtered faceplate or continue with your filter

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 90 of 104

Since master socket & connections are hidden from view I will probably just continue with filter.

Seems that test socket removes bell wire from circuit and filters prevent signal interference on extension line. 

If that this is the case provided I manually disconnect the bell wire and fit a filter then my next step should be to set up as per my last sketch but directly into the master socket and not the test socket.

0 Ratings