cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Weon
Message 1 of 5

IP Profile doomed to always drop?

Hello!

I've been having issues recently with my broadband slowing right down - this isn't the first time. Running the BT Speedtester consistently shows my IP Profile at 135kbps (jealous? thought so!) while my router is showing 3072 D/S and 448 U/S.

I've been reading on these forums that one of the reasons that my IP profile could be dropping would be because my router loses connection to the line. Many people seem to recommend leaving the router on 24/7 to keep the connection up and keep the IP Profile high.

Now, my router IS on 24/7 BUT the longest I have seen it list as staying connected is about 3 days, usually it's between 1 and 2 days. It rarely drops connection during the day (when I use it most - I work from home) so I assume it is losing connection during the evening/night.

So if this keeps happening, am I doomed to always have a yo-yo style IP Profile?

Also, if this is the case, am I right in assuming that switching provider would make very little difference (although better customer service and lower fees might be nice)?

I do live in rural Wales but would still expect better service than this.

Although this is more of a theoretical question, for those that are interested, here are my latest figures:

6th Oct - 12:43
Download speed achieved during the test was - 88 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3136 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
Connection information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 1:50:41 - Due to playing the Help Centre Script game!
Downstream: 3,136 Kbps
Upstream: 448 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation: ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type: Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up): 14.8 dB / 20.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 52.0 dB / 29.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 18.7 dBm / 12.2 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) : 0
Loss of Signal (Local): 0
Loss of Power (Local): 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up): 6825 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up): 63 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up): nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local): 14

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: IP Profile doomed to always drop?

welcome to the forum

switching provider will only be a benefit if either cable or an LLU provider at your exchange.  If neither then you get BT broadband under another name.

are you connected to your master or test socket?  If you have extension outlets have you disconnected the orange bellwire from terminal 3 on the master and extensions?  This wire acts like an aerial and can cause noise problems.

your profile is rock bottom probably due to the number of resets that have happened - resets every couple of days should not have a bad effect but a few disconnections in an hour would.

your noise margin is high at 14.8 as normal about 6. Probable cause again is the resets/disconnections.

One of the forum members wrote this to give suggestion to improve your connection  

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Weon
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the welcome!

Firstly, what is an LLU provider? I have no idea!

I am connected to the master socket via one of the ADSL/Phone faceplates (replacing the need for a microfilter) with no extensions running off the front or the back. There are no other devices (Sky box etc) plugged into the phone line.

When you talk about the resets, are you referring to the line drops that are occurring through nothing I am doing (i.e. turning the router off, resetting the router etc.)? As I said, my router is on all the time and I haven't reset it at all in recent weeks.

If I understand you correctly, the connection dropping every couple of days or so should have no effect on my IP Profile overall?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

LLU - local loop unbundled - these providers have there own equipment in the exchange - check here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

if your router is disconnecting every couple of days that should not be a problem as no different to switching off at night - not recommended by the way.  However if you have reset your hub a few times in a short space of time than can result in an increased noise margin ( exchange trying to stabilise your line) and a drop in your ip profile.  This includes the hub losing connection and if this is the case then you need to check you line.  Try the quiet line test - dial 17070 option 2 using a corded phone and listen - you should hear nothing - no crackles, hiss etc. 

did you read the link to RogerB's post in my last post?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Weon
Message 5 of 5

Hi again

I did indeed read the link in your last post - all stuff that I already knew and had taken into account, I'm afraid!

I also did some research into LLU and found that it's not an option where I am. I get to look at the Welsh mountains but have to trade that against lack of fast broadband!

As for reseting the router, I think I've only ever done that a couple of times and certainly not in recent memory.  I will try that quiet line test though - we had a bit of noise on the line a while ago but it's seems to have been fine recently (and the broadband speed issue only returned this weekend).

Ironically, it sounds like the faffing about with unplugging/plugging in that I had to do today to please the BT lady in India may have more of an adverse effect on my line!

0 Ratings