cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeteSQ
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 36

Re: IP Profile issues

tuco - I appreciate you have major problems too but i don't want to make this thread confused with multiple issues that dilute the responses to my initial enquiry. Sorry - I like specific threads or we'll never get a definitive fix to a single problem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
tuco
Contributor
Message 22 of 36

Ok. Sorry, will delete if the forum options let me.

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 36

@PeteSQ wrote:

Interesting point about connection times - I see this...

Connection time0 days, 6:05:35

6 hours ! My hub has been on for 2 weeks ! But I'm still worried that the BT exchange upgrade has wrecked my connection - 2 years of brilliant download speeds and then I'm upgraded and it all goes wrong. Now admittedly that's only a casual link rather than a causal one. Just to try to find out if I'm the only one suffering this issue I used one of the sites that shows the latest speedcheck results in your area. It appears that everyone in my village has bad speeds from BT - the best is 4Mb, the worst 0.15Mb. Not definitive I know but it does beg a question about our exchange upgrade.

This is becoming a common thread on the forum 'my exchange has been upgraded and my speed is now worse than it was'.  Probably most of the people on the exchange don't notice any difference and probably do get a better speed but for some there is a marked decrease in speed and appearing of 'noise problems'  These people tend to come to the forum for help.

although you have had the hub connected for 14 days it appears that it is resetting and the result is the drop in your profile.  Is it still connected from last night or has it reset again?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Mad_scientist
Aspiring Expert
Message 24 of 36

@imjolly wrote:

@PeteSQ wrote:

Interesting point about connection times - I see this...

Connection time0 days, 6:05:35

6 hours ! My hub has been on for 2 weeks ! But I'm still worried that the BT exchange upgrade has wrecked my connection - 2 years of brilliant download speeds and then I'm upgraded and it all goes wrong. Now admittedly that's only a casual link rather than a causal one. Just to try to find out if I'm the only one suffering this issue I used one of the sites that shows the latest speedcheck results in your area. It appears that everyone in my village has bad speeds from BT - the best is 4Mb, the worst 0.15Mb. Not definitive I know but it does beg a question about our exchange upgrade.

This is becoming a common thread on the forum 'my exchange has been upgraded and my speed is now worse than it was'.  Probably most of the people on the exchange don't notice any difference and probably do get a better speed but for some there is a marked decrease in speed and appearing of 'noise problems'  These people tend to come to the forum for help.

although you have had the hub connected for 14 days it appears that it is resetting and the result is the drop in your profile.  Is it still connected from last night or has it reset again?

Yeah this is the server reseting your line to optimise the speed/error rate it might also be switching you between profile banding groups

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 36

I don't think that is the problem this time as the down speed is ok at 8mb but the profile is up and down with the resets.  If was banding with lots of resets the speed would be down like many others at 576 or 1152

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 26 of 36

About 3 months ago our exchange in Shrewsbury was upgraded to handle 'up to 20mb'

We lost our phone and broadband for about 3 days until we got an engineer on it.  They solved that problem, but for the next 2 months our new homehub 2 kept disconnecting.  Finally it went stable about a month ago, although the upgrade to 20mb from 8mb was hardly noticed.

After doing a bit of exploring found our speed was still pants:

Line state

Connected

Connection time

11 days, 7:48:14

Downstream

288 Kbps

Upstream

448 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI

0/38

Type

PPPoA

Modulation

ITU-T G.992.1

Latency type

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up)

14.5 dB / 6.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up)

60.0 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up)

14.7 dBm / 12.0 dBm

Loss of Framing (Local)

Loss of Signal (Local)

Loss of Power (Local)

FEC Errors (Down/Up)

67155 / 430

CRC Errors (Down/Up)

605 / 2147480000

HEC Errors (Down/Up)

nil / 201

Error Seconds (Local)

So I moved my hub to a different socket, changed the filters and now get this:

ADSL line status Connection information

Line state

Connected

Connection time

0 days, 0:23:48

Downstream

2,400 Kbps

Upstream

416 Kbps

ADSL settings

VPI/VCI

0/38

Type

PPPoA

Modulation

ITU-T G.992.1

Latency type

Interleaved

Noise margin (Down/Up)

9.0 dB / 7.0 dB

Line attenuation (Down/Up)

60.0 dB / 31.5 dB

Output power (Down/Up)

17.3 dBm / 12.4 dBm

Loss of Framing (Local)

Loss of Signal (Local)

Loss of Power (Local)

FEC Errors (Down/Up)

150 / 0

CRC Errors (Down/Up)

0 / 2147480000

HEC Errors (Down/Up)

nil / 0

Error Seconds (Local)

288 to 2400 download speed is a massive improvement. However the IP profileing still says:

IP Profile for your line is - 274 Kbps

This is what it was saying BEFORE I moved my hub.  How do I get my IP profiling figure up?

By the way, I am actually gobsmacked as to the difference in router d/l speed just by moving it away from a portable TV!

0 Ratings
PeteSQ
Aspiring Contributor
Message 27 of 36

I've just checked again and I now see this -

Connection time0 days, 6:30:37

So it does appear that my connection was reset earlier today. Actually I've just realised something that may be connected - my eldest son regularly plays a children's online game and he's recently been complaining that his connection keeps dropping. Maybe this is a symptom.

Does anyone know if this kind of issue has ever been resolved since there do seem to be other people suffering from it ?

0 Ratings
PeteSQ
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 36

Just had an unexpected phone call from BT saying that they are doing some work in the exchange which they hope will resolve my speed issue. I've been asked to keep checking the line speed. I'm not going to get my hopes up to much about this news but I'll keep my fingers crossed.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 36

welcome to the forum jonny10hands

stats look a lot better after your move of telephone socket. Your profile should rise on it's own if you acn stay connected 24/7 for the next 3/5 days might be quicker.  I would add that with an attenuation of 992.1 your are still on adlsmax up to 8mb

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 36

Thanks imjolly I will keep my eye on it and report back.

The attenuation thing you mentioned is very interesting, as when our exchange was updated from 8 to 20mb, I signed up a new 18month contract and got the homehub 2.  Will have to check on our account details.

0 Ratings