cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rick_x
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

IP Profile rears it's ugly head again

I had a nightmare with BT last year when they applied an IP profile to my line. After months of denial by everyone at BT they insisted an engineer had to come to my house and after finding nothing wrong with any equipment of the line fixed it with a single call to the exchange/base. It's happened again and my stable 78Mb line has now had an IP profile of 64.49Mb applied and I'm getting speeds of 61Mb. Can any of the mods please help, I can't go through all that stress with CS again. Thanks

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: IP Profile rears it's ugly head again

you can only get a profile reset by an engineer visit to fix a fault and then get the DLM reset  the mods cannot help with profile reset unlike adsl where mods could make the change

there are numerous posts like yours and engineer visit is required

I would look to see if line been dropping as a possible cause of your speed reducing and therefore drop in profile

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
rick_x
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 23

Thanks, that's really helpful. Was thinking of leaving BT as it costs too much, would I need to get this sorted before I move?

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 4 of 23

If it is a problem with your line it will follow you no matter which ISP you go to (except VM).

Check for noise on your line. 17070 option 2, best with a corded phone.

0 Ratings
rick_x
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 23

Thanks pippincp. I have an email stating my guaranteed speed is 68Mb and they have capped me at 64Mb, any ideas on next steps forward?

Thanks

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 23

do the line noise test and post back
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 23

"They" haven't capped you at all, an automated system has detected a problem with your line and reduced the speed in order to give you a stable connection. The fault needs to be reported and an engineer visit arranged to fix the fault. Can you hear any noise on the line when you dial the quiet line test number 17070?

0 Ratings
rick_x
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 23

If I did it correctly there was no noticable noise on the quiet line test. 

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 23

There should be no noise heard
0 Ratings
rick_x
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Hi Licquorice,

I see what you are saying but my frustration stems from nearly 4 months of them denying there was any form of cap on my line previously despite the Wholesale checker saying there was one last year. The quiet line test was fine, no issues there, no crackles or any sort of background noise.

0 Ratings