Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vofsanity
Contributor
Message 1 of 32

IP Profile setting policy

Go to solution

The current BT system for handling IP profiles appears to be set up to favour stability as against performance. This means that if there is any intermittent problem with your line the noise margin goes up, your sync speed goes down and your IP profile is lowered.  It then takes a considerable time (greater than the stated three days) before the values are reset to the optimum from a performance point of view. I suspect that in a lot of cases manual intervention is required. There are two advantages from BT's viewpoint in this policy. a)They get less complaints about unstable lines and b) as more users are running at a lower profile they have less strain on their system. Also, as a lot of users will not notice this throttling of their service, they will not complain.

From a users point of view this policy means that their download speed can be running at half what it should be.

I have two questions:

1. Is this view accurate ?

2. How can we get it changed to favour performance over stability for those that want it this way ? 

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 32

Re: IP Profile setting policy

Go to solution

You can request that INTERLEAVE is turned off to FAST which gives less error correction and may help but I would suggest you post router stats first as fast on a poor line can become SLOW

enter
192.168.1.254 in browser click A to Z top right
then ADSL enter pas and click MORE DETAIL

POST RESULTS

Also post results of test at http://speedtester.bt.com/

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 32

Go to solution

I have two questions:

1. Is this view accurate ?

2. How can we get it changed to favour performance over stability for those that want it this way ? 

1./ No ... IP profiles are to ensure a line does not carry more data than it can handle, and dump it at the dslams.

2./ You can't ... it's BT policy, other providers, typically LLu providers (some) offer several modes of operation

to encompass these issues.

0 Ratings
vofsanity
Contributor
Message 4 of 32

Go to solution

Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately I do not seem to have made myself clear.

I am fairly happy that I know what is happening with my line.

I understand the point about the purpose of IP Profiles but the fact is that BT are setting a Profile that is below what the line is capable of handling. Profiles are being reduced either too dramatically or on transient problems on the line. This is borne out by others in this community and by my own experience with my own line and others I have had direct contact with.

As stated by RogerB other ISPs have modes of operation that solve this issue. In particular I have two broadband lines and my Non-BT provider has fixed my IP Profile at an appropriate level in favour of performance with a (slight but acceptable to me) detriment to stability.

I do not accept that BTcan not change the policy on IP Profiles and give customers what they want. 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 32

Go to solution

@vofsanity wrote:

Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately I do not seem to have made myself clear.

I am fairly happy that I know what is happening with my line.

I understand the point about the purpose of IP Profiles but the fact is that BT are setting a Profile that is below what the line is capable of handling.

Your IP profile will always be below the sync speed ... with any provider.

Profiles are being reduced either too dramatically or on transient problems on the line.

They're managed dynamically by an algorithm, not manually.

This is borne out by others in this community and by my own experience with my own line and others I have had direct contact with.

You may be talking about banded profiles on 21CN ... a different kettle of fish.

As stated by RogerB other ISPs have modes of operation that solve this issue.

No I'm talking about modes that change interleave level and fastpath modulation.

In particular I have two broadband lines and my Non-BT provider has fixed my IP Profile at an appropriate level in favour of performance with a (slight but acceptable to me) detriment to stability.

I doubt it ,.. you're probably fixed to fastpath, and or fixed SNRm, possibly, not probably.

I do not accept that BTcan not change the policy on IP Profiles and give customers what they want. 

IP profiles do not affect latency, merely govern the throughput to what the line can achieve.

0 Ratings
Malacath
Expert
Message 6 of 32

Go to solution

I agree that something needs to change with the IP profile policy.

I had my line upgraded to 20 megs over a week ago.

My line has been synced at 11,323 Kbps for nearly 8 days now but my connection is not any faster because my IP profile hasn't changed. It still only 7150k.

Surely if my connection is stable  then my IP profile should have gone up by now.

Seriously though. If peoples IP profiles are taking so long to go up even with stable lines then it just means customers get fed up with slow speeds then ask BT for a mac code. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 32

Go to solution

my connection took 6 days for profile to change and I thought that long - so 8 days uptimeSmiley Surprised

if it was me I would reset my router but just once and pick about lunchtime - but that is me.  you may want to wait it out.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 32

Go to solution

Malacath

Go to http://speedtester.bt.com/
and post results to show profile

and if home hub

enter
192.168.1.254 in browser click A to Z top right
then ADSL enter pas and click MORE DETAIL

to see what modulation you are on

Malacath
Expert
Message 9 of 32

Go to solution

Thanks.

Here is my results from the bt speed test site.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 7268 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 2000-7150 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :11323 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1147 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 7150 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 18.63:18.66:62.71 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.

The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.

And here is my hub connection info.

Line state Connected
Connection time 7 days, 16:33:36
Downstream 11,323 Kbps
Upstream 1,147 Kbps
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 5.2 dB / 6.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 35.0 dB / 15.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 0.0 dBm / 12.1 dBm

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 32

Go to solution

With that attenuation your sync is about right check it here its approximate but fairly reliable 

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

profile is low but may improve in time ? as SN margin is good