Did you mean: 
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 21 of 32

Re: IP Profile setting policy

Go to solution

@RubberNutter wrote:

Hi

I would suggest your profile is stuck, the reason why I am saying that is your profile is 7150 Kbps which is for ADSLMAX 8 meg profile, while it will be lower than your sync speed it shouldn't be that much and the only time would be during peak times when traffic management is on.

Peak time traffic management isn't done like that.

Your BRAS profile should remain the same, in line with your sync. speed, even if peak time throughput is being managed to something less than your BRAS profile would normally allow.

Mad_scientist
Aspiring Expert
Message 22 of 32

Go to solution
I really do not get the IP profile stuff, my conection stays at the same speed for 10 days or so then the modem resets and I get connected at a slower rate. It never increases just steadly falls scine it was installed. The whole time I have had excelent pings with no packet loss so where is the instability? I would prefer my line to stay at a fast rate rather than drop due to instability that is giving me no noticable problems. I think BT might have gone over the top with thier stability line formula.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
G-H-Grant
Contributor
Message 23 of 32

Go to solution

Seems to be the policy of BT India to blame everything on the computer which changes IP profiles and I have lost count of the number of "3 days" I have had to wait for the speed to come back up for a few hours before it is reset again.

G H Grant

0 Ratings
vofsanity
Contributor
Message 24 of 32

Go to solution

Qoite "About as much chance as asking HM Guv to remove the national road speed limit cause some  want to go faster  at greater risk"

A better analogy is matrix signs on motorways being set at 40 mph hours after a minor problem caused the initial problem.   This community has post after post with users having an IP profile that is way below what their line stats say they should have.   If enough people complain BT will change their policy.  Users and BT need to be educated on what is actually happening  with the current policy so that something is done about it.

I agree with the earlier comment that if an IP profile of 7.5 Mbps is reduced to 6.5 Mbps it is probably not noticeable but if 1.5Mbps is reduced to 0.5Mbps it is crippling.

The solution is easy. Give users the choice of a fixed IP Profile or a dynamic one. Better still why not do as some parts of  Australia do where the IP Profile can be altered by users. 

0 Ratings
smami01
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 32

Go to solution

I too have observed the effects described in these posts. 

In particular I have just been informed that the network in my area has been upgraded to give me the fastest possible speed.  In fact after a long period of consistenly good speeds and IP profile of 7.1Mbps (according to speedtester.bt.com) the upgrade has resulted in my IP profile being set at 2.5Mbps.

Folloing the network upgrade - there was a short burst where there was an improvement.  But - I suspect that because work was continuing there were a series of drop outs over the weekend.  This resulted in the profile downgrade.  My previous experience is that when the profile is downgraded it takes a long time (more than the 3 days) for the algorithms to increase the profile.

This hysteresis works in BT's favour.  Is is a secret ploy to get us to switch to BT Infinity!

0 Ratings
IanC
Recognised Expert
Message 26 of 32

Go to solution

@vofsanity wrote:

I do not accept that BTcan not change the policy on IP Profiles and give customers what they want. 

They (BT) have trialled something quite like (but not quite the same as) what you seem to want. 

I've no idea what the outcome of the trial was - read all about it over at the Plusnet forums.

0 Ratings
vofsanity
Contributor
Message 27 of 32

Go to solution

It appears that my original post is largely correct. It also appears that BT have the concept of Banded Profiles.  If they consider your line unstable they put you into one of these which is lower than optimum for your line and you get stuck in it until manual intervention gets you out.  Again it all points to BT getting IP profile system  algorithms/system/policy wrong.   If your line stats and IP Profile do not match complain to BT and they will (eventually) do something about it.

You may have to escalate beyond the first level of support. 

0 Ratings
mat008
Contributor
Message 28 of 32

Go to solution

The problem is that the do not tell you this they just do it and when you phone BT India as someone else mentioned they blame it on your end.

I had a stable 7Meg BB with a 6Meg profile for 2 years and just had an upgrade to 13Meg with a profile of 12 then 11 then 10 and now 2Meg which is now the same as my old 2Meg ling of 3 years ago..... If everyone leaves BT then I might stop ripping there loyal customers off.

Mat (annoyed with this problem for almost a month now)

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 29 of 32

Go to solution

@vofsanity wrote:

It appears that my original post is largely correct. It also appears that BT have the concept of Banded Profiles.  If they consider your line unstable they put you into one of these which is lower than optimum for your line and you get stuck in it until manual intervention gets you out.

Or your line recovers in so much whereby DLM allows you out of them ....

Again it all points to BT getting IP profile system  algorithms/system/policy wrong.

No .. it's there for the network's benefit, not the end user with a bad line who wants to flout the system.

====================================================================

In your original post you said:

The current BT system for handling IP profiles appears to be set up to favour stability as against performance.

Very true, why shouldn't it?   Financial institutions depend on stability, as well as other businesses.

This means that if there is any intermittent problem with your line the noise margin goes up, your sync speed goes down and your IP profile is lowered. 

Correct ... the basic concept of Dynamic Line Management .... it's how it works.

It then takes a considerable time (greater than the stated three days) before the values are reset to the optimum from a performance point of view.

If the fault is not passive or temporary, then yes.

I suspect that in a lot of cases manual intervention is required.

Totally at BTw's discretion for those whose line is more troublesome to cure.

There are two advantages from BT's viewpoint in this policy. a)They get less complaints about unstable lines

possibly ... but I doubt it ...

and b) as more users are running at a lower profile they have less strain on their system.

Fiction.

Also, as a lot of users will not notice this throttling of their service, they will not complain.

Again .. fiction.

😉

0 Ratings
vofsanity
Contributor
Message 30 of 32

Go to solution

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them." --- Einstein.

There is  a problem with the current IP Profile policy. This community is about BB in Home not financial institutions and business.   There is no point having a stable line set at a profile that means it is unacceptably slow especially when the line stats indicate that it should be faster. And in a lot of cases the line has demonstrated better performance in the past.

Users are not out to flout the system at the expense of the network. 

BT benefits from lower profiles by having less contentionamongst other things. Fact not fiction.

Any system that lowers profiles fast and restores them slowly automatically means that the line is below optimum performance longer than necessary.   Also in my experience less than 50% of home users monitor line performance and I find a significant proportion of users I have contact with  (at least 1 in 5) have an IP profile that is less than their line should support. Needless to say they do not complain.

0 Ratings