Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vofsanity
Contributor
Message 11 of 32

Re: IP Profile setting policy

Go to solution

They're (IP profiles)  managed dynamically by an algorithm, not manually.

This is the root of the problem.  The BT algorithm is deficient as far as the customer is concerned and favours stability rather than performance.  It is quick to lower the profile by too much but reluctant i(f at all) to raise it and usually by too little hence the need for manual intervention.

With my other provider my sync rate is always LESS than my IP profile.  The Noise margin varies.

0 Ratings
Malacath
Expert
Message 12 of 32

Go to solution

@hamish72 wrote:

With that attenuation your sync is about right check it here its approximate but fairly reliable 

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

profile is low but may improve in time ? as SN margin is good

Good to know my line looks fine. I guess i'm just worried I will have to go through the same hassle I had when I first joined BT.

When I first joined BT I had my IP profile stuck on 2000k even though my line had maximum sync rate for an 8meg line. Calling the overseas call centre drove me mad.  They only read from a script. At first they just said my line only supported 2meg which was a lie. Then they started blaming it on my PC saying it had viruses(which it didn't cos I know enough about PCs to avoid getting them). 

It was only after about 20 days did they finally unstick my profile. I'm hoping that my IP profile will go up on it's own because I really don't want to phone them again(unless it's to get a mac code)

0 Ratings
RubberNutter
Contributor
Message 13 of 32

Go to solution

Hi

I would suggest your profile is stuck, the reason why I am saying that is your profile is 7150 Kbps which is for ADSLMAX 8 meg profile, while it will be lower than your sync speed it shouldn't be that much and the only time would be during peak times when traffic management is on.

Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is the one that sets your profile at a stable connection regardless of the speed, most IPS's use this tool to affectly manage lines and it does cut down unstable line issues.

For me I just hate DLM, but I can see it from the IPS's view as well.

Malacath
Expert
Message 14 of 32

Go to solution

@RubberNutter wrote:

Hi

I would suggest your profile is stuck, the reason why I am saying that is your profile is 7150 Kbps which is for ADSLMAX 8 meg profile, while it will be lower than your sync speed it shouldn't be that much and the only time would be during peak times when traffic management is on.

Dynamic Line Management (DLM) is the one that sets your profile at a stable connection regardless of the speed, most IPS's use this tool to affectly manage lines and it does cut down unstable line issues.

For me I just hate DLM, but I can see it from the IPS's view as well.

Yeah I got a feeling it's stuck.

I can't even do anything about it until the so called training period is over. And then i'm not sure I can do with the stress caused by the nightmare of that overseas call centre.

I'll just give it another week or so in the offchance that it might go up eventually.

I can't help thinking something is wrong though because the BT usage metre has been stuck at 6.25GB since the upgrade. I've used over 20GB since then so it looks like some parts of the BT network thinks i'm still on ADSL max.

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 15 of 32

Go to solution

Given the bandwidth meter issue I think I would contact a forum mod to look at it

Contact Mods at
forum.moderation.team@bt.com
include a link to this topic account number and phone number

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

Malacath
Expert
Message 16 of 32

Go to solution

@hamish72 wrote:

Given the bandwidth meter issue I think I would contact a forum mod to look at it

Contact Mods at
forum.moderation.team@bt.com
include a link to this topic account number and phone number

Thanks i'll do that.

Sounds like a much better option than the call centre.

0 Ratings
Kaja
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 32

Go to solution

Seriously though i dont think bt are gona change any policies for a select few users who are unhappy about their ip profile. The focus should be on the people who are stuck at say a 135k profile not ones who are unhappy that their 8mb connection is running at 7mbs.

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 32

Go to solution

Spot on Im very happy with my 7100 on 8 Meg

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 19 of 32

Go to solution

I very much doubt they'd change it regardless of which point of view you take ....

Seeing as both 20CN and 21CN network architecture is built on it, with a policy of "stability over speed" concept.

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 20 of 32

Go to solution

About as much chance as asking HM Guv to remove the national road speed limit cause some  want to go faster  at greater risk

0 Ratings