cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

IP Profile

Will BT ever scrap the whole "IP Profile" nonsense? On Wednesday I reported a problem to BT which they eventually diagnosed as a fault on the line - every time they go through the "script" of making me unplug and reset everything and every time it turns out to be a fault on the line. This has happened about 4 or 5 times now.

First it takes them 48 hours to fix the problem which was apparently resolved at 5pm yesterday. Here I am on Saturday evening and my download speeds are capped at 256Kbps due to this insane IP Profile which, apparently, could take up to three days to reset itself. My router is synched at 4563Kbps so why can't I just get that speed please?

If it does take three days to resolve then I'll have been on a pretty useless connection for the best part of a week and all that time I've had to be without BT Vision as well. Do you think there'd be any chance of a refund? I doubt it!

Since we're in Sheffield, and BT are not rolling out Infinity here anytime soon, I'm going to take a good luck at Digital Region and see if I can make the switch. Oh how I wish that there was cable here ...

WBD

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: IP Profile

this taken from kitz and explains why there is an ip profile

Why do we need an IP / bRAS profile?

The simple answer is to stop traffic "bottle-necking" at the exchange VPs. A maximum throughput level is needed to stop more data than your line can physically achieve being sent down the backhaul and being dropped at the DSLAM.

When we request data this will firstly comes down over high speed UK backbone (Colossus) to the RAS.
From the RAS traffic will traverse the ATM backhaul where it branches off to the different exchanges. These Virtual Paths on some exchanges can be relatively small (say 20-50 MB). If you have a lot of users at the same exchange requesting data coming off the backbone fast, this could soon swamp the VPs. Therefore BT's solution is to throttle the speed of "our" data at the RAS and not allowing data to travel down the VP at a speed any faster than our connection can handle.

The IP profile is a "net" figure after an allowance has been made for any processing overheads such as TCP/IP and ATM overheads.

bRAS IP profile top

Read more: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm#ixzz1IOmIh7eS

I think what is really annoying is it takes up to 75 min to drop your profile but 3/5 days for it to get back up.  this is set by the algorithm but why not just change the algorithm to shorten the time  to 1 or 2 days?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 26

1 or 2 days is still unacceptable. Why not have it so the IP Profile can be reset once th engineer has cleared the fault?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 26

the fault which causes the profile drop is, in most cases , noise on the line and in the OP's home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 26

@imjolly wrote:

this taken from kitz and explains why there is an ip profile

Why do we need an IP / bRAS profile?

The simple answer is to stop traffic "bottle-necking" at the exchange VPs. A maximum throughput level is needed to stop more data than your line can physically achieve being sent down the backhaul and being dropped at the DSLAM.

When we request data this will firstly comes down over high speed UK backbone (Colossus) to the RAS.
From the RAS traffic will traverse the ATM backhaul where it branches off to the different exchanges. These Virtual Paths on some exchanges can be relatively small (say 20-50 MB). If you have a lot of users at the same exchange requesting data coming off the backbone fast, this could soon swamp the VPs. Therefore BT's solution is to throttle the speed of "our" data at the RAS and not allowing data to travel down the VP at a speed any faster than our connection can handle.

The IP profile is a "net" figure after an allowance has been made for any processing overheads such as TCP/IP and ATM overheads.

bRAS IP profile top

Read more: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm#ixzz1IOmIh7eS

I think what is really annoying is it takes up to 75 min to drop your profile but 3/5 days for it to get back up.  this is set by the algorithm but why not just change the algorithm to shorten the time  to 1 or 2 days?

I think what most people wonder is why can't BT get rid of the IP Profiling system like LLU providers do.

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 26

only BTw can answer that question as unlike LLU the exchange equipment is theirs and not a 3rd party

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 26

OK. It's now over 5 days since the problem was originally reported. BT think they've fixed it because the fault on the line was cleared. However, here I am stuck on an IP Profile of 250Kbps. Who do I need to call to get them to press the "Reset" button for my IP Profile which appears to be stuck?

Not enjoying BT right now.

WBD
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 26

Hi If you have had 5 days of constant connection then you need to contact the Forum mods they will get it fixed for you use this link and complete the webform they normally respond within 72hours as all mails are dealt with in turn one piece of advice though is do not phone the help line
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 26

"this link"? I see no link!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 26

my apologies http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

that's the link you need