Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Moshmeister
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

IP address

Hello

I'm wondering how I can go about changing my IP address? I have tried turning my hub on & off and also tried restting it, but the IP stays the same.

Any advice is much appreciated!

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: IP address

Hi Moshmeister,

To get your router to renew your IP Address, try leaving your hub off for 10 minutes before turning it back on. Remember not to interrupt it too often otherwise the DLM may be paying you a harsh visit, reducing your speeds 😉

Cheers

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
Moshmeister
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Thanks for the reply Chris.

I've tried this twice now (even leaving it off for several hours before restarting the hub and my computer) but still the same problem.

Is it that the IP address is somehow fixed in my computer? Or is it always the hub?

Any other advice gratefully received!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

are you confusing the address given to your pc by the hub as against the the address hub uses for the internet which changes everytime there is a disconnection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Moshmeister
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

Possibly.... the problem I'm having is that certain websites are recognising my IP and able to identify me as a user.

I wish to maintain anominity, so is it the hub or my PC that need's it's IP address changed?

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
syops
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 18

where are you reading your IP address from?

if its 192.168.1.254 your seeing then thats the ip to access your router locally.

if you have a HH it would be under broadband>internet>Broadband network IP address

Check your exchange or major service outages

If someone has given a helpful answer, please click on their Ratings star on the left-hand side. 🙂 ***
0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 18

It would be the external IP which would need to be changed for anominity to websites, which I believe changes at least everytime your connection re-syncs.

The internal Homehub IP is Static and by default is 192.168.1.254.

Your PC would be within the 192.168.1.x range.

Changing the addresses in the 192.168.1.x range will not let you be seen as another IP from websites, only changing the external IP will work in that case.

I hope that helps 🙂

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

are you sure it's not the cookies it's recognising and not your IP?  try deleting cookies in your browser andsee if that helps

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
PheeragHfre
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 18

A couple of simple tests which should help you confirm/check your external IP address.

http://ipecho.net/plain

or from a cmd prompt.

nslookup myip.opendns.com. 208.67.222.222   (opendns resolver)

(or    dig  myip.opendns.com @208.67.222.222 +short)

"I have this awful feeling someone is watching every move I make (one of my pet hates is router location tagging)." Marvin (A paranoid Android)
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 18

@chris6273 wrote:

It would be the external IP which would need to be changed for anominity to websites, which I believe changes at least everytime your connection re-syncs.

If you are on the new 21CN network (ADSL2+), it is quite possible your IP address will not change when you disconnect or restart your hub, unless you are disconnected for a long time, and your IP address gets re-allocated.

I get warning messages from my Dyndns client, that the IP address has not changed. This happens virtually every time my line re-trains, or I have to re-boot or disconnect the hub.

I suspect that the MSANs, which provide the local connection in the exchange, retain the existing IP address for some time afterwards.

Being routers themselves, they probably have a DHCP server built in, to save passing requests back to the main network.

0 Ratings