cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 11 of 18

Re: IP address

I've tried connecting through a 3 broadband dongle and it's the same problem, therefore it must be something to do with my computer's unique IP (or something).

I deleted all cookies etc. and still the same problems.

Does anyone know how to change the IP on my computer itself? Will this cause issues when I'm trying to go online with BT Broadband?

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 18

Are you sure that its not something else that is being recognised?
It seems unlikely that is simply your IP address, as that is available to any website, even if you change your IP address.

It could possibly be the MAC address of your network adapter, but that is not normally available to a remote host.

Some software programs generate a unique hash code derived from the processor serial number and your hardware, just like Windows product key validation.
It could be that something is passing this code to the remote host, maybe some persistant cookie stored somewhere.

Have you tried using a different computer?

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 13 of 18

I don't have the option of using another computer unfortunately.

I rang up BT technical support and they said that you can't change your IP address. Which weirdly goes against everyhting I've read in other parts of these forums.

I'm getting really confused now, how do websites recognise your computer as being uniquely yours unless there's an IP address (or something) inherent to every specific computer!?

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 14 of 18

@Moshmeister wrote:

I rang up BT technical support and they said that you can't change your IP address. Which weirdly goes against everyhting I've read in other parts of these forums.

Well that is certainly not true! You can change your local IPs (Including your Homehub IP & DHCP address range) and usually you can change your external IP by resyncing your connection.

They must be on another planet Smiley Wink

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 18

I bet it's got nothing to do with your IP address.  It's most likely that the website is storing information about you using a cookie, which doesn't matter which IP address you connect through.

Out of interest, what is the website and have you had to sign up/register?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 16 of 18

@Moshmeister wrote:

I've tried connecting through a 3 broadband dongle and it's the same problem, therefore it must be something to do with my computer's unique IP (or something).

If you connected the dongle directly to your computer then it's nothing to do with IP addresses.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 18

@Homer_J wrote:

@Moshmeister wrote:

If you connected the dongle directly to your computer then it's nothing to do with IP addresses.

did you realise this thread is over 2 years old and OP has never been back

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 18

Nope, I didn't pay much attention to the dates, I just assume what is on the first page is recent. Smiley Indifferent

0 Ratings