Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Sprince
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 27

IP profile dropped causing really slow broadband speeds

I recently contacted BT about slow broadband speeds and they managed to sort it out for me, but wasnt told what they did. About a week later my Ip profile has dropped form 1700k to 135k which hasnt changed for just under a week. Before it changed we did nothing to the homehub eg restart it turn it off or move it which could have led to this dramatic drop. BT have never given us a stable internet connection but we have given up with them as they dont seem to care about us, we are close to considering moving to another provider as we cant seem to get our message across to them about how unstable and slow our internet is. We are currently on option 3 with unlimited download speeds so we are paying for nothing and may as well be on option 1 because we are getting no where near to 20mb not even close to 1 mb internet speeds. If anyone has any ideas of how we can get this problem solved please post ASAP becuase we cant cope with these sort of internet speeds.

I've used these forums before and managed to get my problem resolved and our internet was brilliant so this is our last hope.

My internet test reults are below:

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.

Download speedachieved during the test was - 101 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Your DSL Connection Rate :2176 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 416 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
 IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

My ADSL line status is below (my connection time is low becuase im on my laptop my PC has been connected all the time and gets exactly the same speeds and ADSL details): 

Line stateConnected
Connection time0 days, 0:24:12
Downstream2,336 Kbps
Upstream416 Kbps
VPI/VCI0/38
TypePPPoA
ModulationITU-T G.992.1
Latency typeInterleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)11.8 dB / 6.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)55.0 dB / 31.5 dB
Output power (Down/Up)18.4 dBm / 12.5 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local)22
Loss of Signal (Local)2
Loss of Power (Local)0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)61 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)0 / 2147480000
HEC Errors (Down/Up)nil / 0
Error Seconds (Local)12
0 Ratings
26 REPLIES 26
Sprince
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 27

Re: IP profile dropped causing really slow broadband speeds

By the way I have recently being using the internet a lot more than usual for example downloaded about 20GB of files but my overall use-age is approx 37gb according to the BT use-age meter
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 27

your connection time only shows 24mins - is the hub resetting on it's own or are you resetting it hopimg to improve your connection? your noise margin is higher than normal 6 again suggesting disconnects.

the problem is you profile is rock bottom at 135 instead of 2000 which is killing your download speed.

are you connected to the master or test socket or somewhere else?

have you tried the quiet line test - dial 17070 option 2  should hear nothing and best done with corded phone if possible

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Sprince
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 27

I just ran a quiet line test and there was soom crackling that i could hear but nothing really loud. Also I reset the hub once to see if there was any joy in fixing the problem but there was no joy, so just left it alone. My BT homehub is connected to the master socket all the time.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 27

if you have any crackle on your phone line that will really not help your broadband so if you check again from master socket and can still hear it the dial 151 and report a phone fault NOT a broadband faullt.

you are connected to master socket do you have any extension sockets in other rooms?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Sprince
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 27

No we used to have an extension running upstairs but I disconnected that a while ago so that it wouldn't interfere with our broadband.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 27

if you are happy with the noise on your line that is is not interfering then if you stay connected 24/7 for 3/5 days with no resets then profile should rise automatically

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 27

Hi You will need to leave the hub powered up with no restarts for 3/5 days your profile should rise after that just a matter of waiting any restarts will restart the time period
0 Ratings
Sprince
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 27

Is there anything I can do to prevent it doing the same thing again in the future becuase its happened a couple of times and is quite annoying when it does it like very month.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 27

just don't reset the hub unless you need to and leave connected 24/7  you can check here for some ideas  

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

0 Ratings