cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tinytina
Contributor
Message 1 of 19

IP profile - not sure why it's dropped

Can anyone help please - we had Infinity 2 installed April last year. For 8 months after that we had a rock solid connection, with an ip profile of 77.44. However, in mid November we noticed our hub had reset itself one evening, then the next morning saw our speeds reduced slightly with a corresponding drop in ip profile to 71.77. Having read on this forum that DLM would automatically raise the speed/profile, we left everything well alone. However by end of Dec ip profile remained at 71.77 without any increase. For the last few weeks we've even tried resetting the home hub everything morning, to see if this jogs the profile back up. Nothing's worked.

It's not a problem, as the profile is still within the 'impacted line' allowance for our line (i.e 80 - 70.5), however we were wondering if after so many months of perfect operation how has this loss of speed/profile occurred, and would we ever get it back?

I know there's vectoring round the corner, which should bring everyone up to a level playing field, but I was wondering if I could do anything in the meantime to improve matters even further?

Thanks in advance.
0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 2 of 19

Re: IP profile - not sure why it's dropped

Which hub do you have, HH5?
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
tinytina
Contributor
Message 3 of 19

We have a HH4.
0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 19

Pity, you can't see your line stats, specifically sync speed and noise margin like you can on a HH5. These would give you some indication of whether your speeds will improve - not that you could do anything about it.
--
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

It could be that your line or a connector has deteriorated overtime or there was noise or a fault on your line that caused it to drop. It might still improve but even if it doesn't I would imagine that BT will not do anything to assist in getting you back 5.67Mbps when you are still within your estimated speed band.

0 Ratings
tinytina
Contributor
Message 6 of 19

Yeah. There's no way we're even going to bother asking OR to look into this or reset the profile. Certainly not phoning BT help desks in India. We've learned more from reading these forums than anything they could advise.

We have got access to a friends HH5 that we could use to hook up and check the line starts, if folks think that would be a good idea? We just haven't done it yet because we were afraid of switching off the OR modem and risking DLM kicking in. If you guys think swapping in a HH5 would help then we'll certainly try that?
0 Ratings
legitimise_sailing
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 19

It would give you more detailed information, but it wouldn't let you do anything about it, so it's up to you.

If you do decide to swap your modem, ensure you power it off before disconnecting or connecting it to the phone line.
--
0 Ratings
tinytina
Contributor
Message 8 of 19

Ok. Will swap over tomorrow and post the results here. Thanks for everyone's advise so far.
0 Ratings
JamesK1975
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 19

To get the best possible sync rate it's worth during the modem swap during the day, around lunchtime. Personally I would try just powering off the existing modem for 30 minutes and powering it back on.

Your IP Profile is determined by how well the modem syncs with the cabinet, so if you do it during the day you'll get a better sync than at night or in the early hours of the morning.

0 Ratings
tinytina
Contributor
Message 10 of 19

Folks, apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Finally managed to hook up the HH5 - here are the stats:

Can anyone advise whether these are good / bad?  Whether there's scope for improvement?

6. Data rate:19999 / 76405
7. Maximum data rate:25537 / 76904
8. Noise margin:15.3 / 6.6
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 9.4
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 9.4
0 Ratings