cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Message 51 of 62

Re: IP profile now 87

Does anyone know the actual sync speed they have that goes with these higher IP profile values?  Without that simple bit of information (simple for anyone with higher IP profile and unlocked modem) most of the discussion is pretty fruitless.

That should clarify whether Openreach are experimenting with higher speeds, or whether BT are giving IP profiles that seem inappropriately high for the sync.  BT could have a good reason for that.  For example, they could be experimenting with getting rid of BRAS altogether and relying on natural back-pressure to match the flow of data from exchange to cabinet with that from cabinet to modem.  BRAS must be an extra complication and expense at the exchange for them to maintain, and quite possibly does not give any benefit in a VDSL context.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 52 of 62

My sync speed is apparently 0 Mbps
It says:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 50.6 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 16 Mbps-0 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 85.64 Mbps
--
To say thanks for a helpful answer, please click the white star
0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 53 of 62

@sjtp wrote:

Does anyone know the sync speed they have that goes with these higher IP profile values?

The sync rate has not changed it is still 79999 Kbps

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 54 of 62

@legitimise_sailing wrote:
My sync speed is apparently 0 Mbps
It says:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 50.6 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 16 Mbps-0 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 85.64 Mbps

That is not the sync rate, the sync rate is given by the modem, which is the white box from openreach. This modem comes locked so that you are not able to see the sync rate.

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 55 of 62

@sjtp wrote:

Does anyone know the actual sync speed they have that goes with these higher IP profile values?  Without that simple bit of information (simple for anyone with higher IP profile and unlocked modem) most of the discussion is pretty fruitless.

That should clarify whether Openreach are experimenting with higher speeds, or whether BT are giving IP profiles that seem inappropriately high for the sync.  BT could have a good reason for that.  For example, they could be experimenting with getting rid of BRAS altogether and relying on natural back-pressure to match the flow of data from exchange to cabinet with that from cabinet to modem.  BRAS must be an extra complication and expense at the exchange for them to maintain, and quite possibly does not give any benefit in a VDSL context.

BT can't change the sync beyond 79999 Kbps at the moment because it's not in the specs for the 80/20 Product from openreach.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 56 of 62

@legitimise_sailing  The 0 you see is just a bug in the speedtest/IP profile reporting code.  When it is working right, it is just another indication of IP profile, and even then does not give any real indication of sync speed.  You can only find sync speed with an unlocked modem.

@Ratty2012  Thanks for quick response.  (Sorry if you had already posted it and I had missed it).  That pretty much shows that Openreach is not involved, and that it is just some sort of BT experiment.  Maybe experiment towards getting rid of BRAS (as in my edit above), or ...???

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 57 of 62

So I'm not syncing at 0 Mbps? That's a relief, although it looks like that's incorrect as well as the IP Profile.

--
0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 58 of 62

@sjtp wrote:

@@legitimise_sailing  The 0 you see is just a bug in the speedtest/IP profile reporting code.  When it is working right, it is just another indication of IP profile, and even then does not give any real indication of sync speed.  You can only find sync speed with an unlocked modem.

@@Ratty2012  Thanks for quick response.  (Sorry if you had already posted it and I had missed it).  That pretty much shows that Openreach is not involved, and that it is just some sort of BT experiment.  Maybe experiment towards getting rid of BRAS (as in my edit above), or ...???

The street cabinet has information to see if a line can sync above 79999 Kbps, if it can then the BRAS profile is set above that. Once BT has this information it is able to tell how many lines can go above the 79999 Kbps rate and by how much.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 59 of 62

So I'm not syncing at 0 Mbps? That's a relief, although it looks like that's incorrect as well as the IP Profile.

You're normally synced just above your IP profile.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 60 of 62

@ryant704 wrote:

You're normally synced just above your IP profile.

That would be impossible of course at the moment.

--
0 Ratings