After my upgrade to 20 meg connection my IP profile is stuck at 2500 😞
Before my upgrade I was getting a constant 6.5meg on my 8meg line.
The problem I have is I have rang BT and they have agreed and said my IP profile is 2500, so there answer to this has been to escalate the problem and get an engineer to call me within 24hours, this has happened and on both occasions I have been told that the IP profile has now been set a 11000, this is where the conflict starts, both occasions my IP profile has NOT increased and I am getting to the point where I wished I had not upgraded and just of stuck with my steady 6.5 connection!
I hope someone can give me some advice TIA
here is my hub stats and I will post btspeedtest when the hour is up
|Connection time||0 days, 0:13:30|
|Noise margin (Down/Up)||6.1 dB / 6.1 dB|
|Line attenuation (Down/Up)||30.0 dB / 15.4 dB|
|Output power (Down/Up)||0.0 dBm / 12.8 dBm|
|Loss of Framing (Local)||0|
|Loss of Signal (Local)||0|
|Loss of Power (Local)||0|
|FEC Errors (Down/Up)||1628 / 4294967264|
|CRC Errors (Down/Up)||7 / 2147480000|
|HEC Errors (Down/Up)||nil / 0|
|Error Seconds (Local)||1|
here is another possibility about your profile from another recent post - you may be in the lucky 60%
if you read the post if there is a large increase required that should happen as per the scale set out by IanC but that applies to about 60% of the people. I am in the other 40% and mine normally takes about 3days regardless of the increase required.
Thanks for the info 2days and 22hours counting , I will post back if my problem is/not solved. Cheers
hope to hear sooner rather than later
great news wish it was my speed