cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
candell
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

IP's and email blacklists

I've been an infinity customer for a few weeks now and several times I have been unable to send email due to the automatic IP I have been assigned being blacklisted. Obviously a reboot of the rooter provides me with a new IP and I can then happily send emails again but I shouldn't have to be doing that.

Has anyone else experienced this? Upon sending an email I receive an error message stating that the error cannot be sent with a link to a website that shows the status of the IP, each time it says that the email didn't go because of being blacklisted.

I've also noticed the IP changes very often, with Sky I had the same IP for many months at a time, so far mine has changed almost daily.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: IP's and email blacklists

your IP address should not be changing that often unless your hub is restarting due to the line being unstable
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 6

@candell wrote:

I've been an infinity customer for a few weeks now and several times I have been unable to send email due to the automatic IP I have been assigned being blacklisted. Obviously a reboot of the rooter provides me with a new IP and I can then happily send emails again but I shouldn't have to be doing that.

Has anyone else experienced this? Upon sending an email I receive an error message stating that the error cannot be sent with a link to a website that shows the status of the IP, each time it says that the email didn't go because of being blacklisted.

I've also noticed the IP changes very often, with Sky I had the same IP for many months at a time, so far mine has changed almost daily.

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

How are you sending emails ? Is it using your own mail server, or using mail.btinternet.com via something like Outlook, Thunderbird etc ?

BTinternet IP addresses are dynamic, and hence can change - but usually only after a connection loss, whether by a user reset or network conditions. So you may have a poor line if there are disconnections on a daily basis.

As for the blacklisting, all of BT (and other ISPs with dynamic IP address ranges) wll have their IP ranges on blacklists - this is to help users of those blackists stop spam entering their systems, as most spam is sent via botnets - computers infected with malware that send emails "direct" rather than via the ISP smarthost mail servers.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 6

you should use a smart host like google not your own dynamic ip to send mail

0 Ratings
candell
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Thanks for the quick replies guys, the guy on technical support didn't have a clue what I was talking about Smiley Frustrated

It's a personal email account using my own smtp with the account, so mail.mydomain.co.uk
. Is this to be expected on BT then? I have bounced around many isp'sbut only on BT have I had this.

Bullitt, can you point me somewhere to talk me through using a google smart host?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 6 of 6

seriously? use google to find out
it depends on your mail client or sever or whatever
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=using+gmail+as+a+smarthost
0 Ratings