cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

IPTV channels cause buffering on home network

Can anyone offer any help on this issue please?

I have a YouView Humax DTRT1000 box running latest firmware.

The issue is, as soon as I start using an IPTV channel, it causes buffering on my internal home network.

The Apple TV/Samsung Smart TV from another room will have been accessing TV Shows/Movies from a NAS Drive perfectly fine, but once I start up BT Sport for instance, within a second or so, the Apple TV/Samsung Smart TV App will buffer and never recover. Once I turn the BT Sport channel off, the buffering stops.

I should add, the BT Sport channel plays perfectly, it just seems to somehow "block" all other traffic on my internal network.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
BT TV Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: IPTV channels cause buffering on home network

Hi,

Are you using a 3rd Party Router or any network switches? It sounds like an IGMP snooping issue.

Steve

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Hi,

Yes, I'm using an Asus RT-N66U Router - The Homehubs I tried couldn't deal with most of my IP Cameras.

There is also 2 8-port switches on the network (unmanaged?, I think that's how to describe them?) though the Apple TV & Samsung smart TV are both wireless to the router.

In fact, both those devices are connected to a Range extender.

I might in fact, have somehow solved this myself - I tried switching both the Apple TV & the Samsung Smart TV from the 5ghz Extender signal to the 2.4ghz band, and the buffering seemed to have stopped. Though i only tested this morning for 10 minutes, usually, i wouldn't get 5 seconds before buffering.

If it is IGMP snooping, where should I start looking to fix things?

Thanks again for your reply.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 4 of 6

Does this thread help?

https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-Boxes/Known-Routers-to-Work-with-Multicast-IGMP/td-p/994338

And this blog?

http://stevehaskew.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/multicast-igmp-and-spanning-tree.html

Thanks
Ian
http://www.siteguru.co.uk/be/ADSL2PlusForDummies.pdf - Having ADSL issues? Then read this PDF
Please don't click the star beside my name - too many stars makes you look like a swot!
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

I think that first thread is the ne I used when i replaced my HomeHub & found out that BTs IPTV wouldn't work with a lot of routers.

That's not the issue now though. The IPTV channels play fine, but just seem to block the rest of my network whilst they're playing.

Will take a look at the blog post though. Thanks.

**EDIT**

Hmmm, that blog is way above my knowledge level. Whilst I know enough to throw together a relatively simple home network, I'm afraid that is way above my station.

0 Ratings
BT TV Expert
Message 6 of 6

With regards to the switches, I'd suggest either having the STB hard wired directly to one of the ASUS ports, or getting a switch which supports multicast and IGMP snooping.

Steve

0 Ratings