cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

IPV6 Apple Airport

Hi,

I am trying to configure my AirPort Extreme to use IPV6 through the echolife modem on BT Infinity, but don't seem to be having much luck.

I have followed the basic setup, enabling 'automatic' and 'native' support in the settings. But the router refuses to pick up an IPV6 WAN address or default route etc. Everything's just IPV4.

I understand I need to use 56 delegated prefix, but in order to manually configure the delegated prefix I must also provide IPV6 WAN, LAN and IPV6 Default Route details. I understand these may need to be dynamic? Btw IPV6 WAN field is pre-populated with loopback IPV6 address.

Can anybody help with me getting this connected? Is the AirPort even compatible with BT IPV6?

I like to think I'm not alone with trying this, so hopefully it'll help some others too if they stumble upon the post.

Cheers
Tags (3)
0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Expert
Message 2 of 17

Re: IPV6 Apple Airport

Hi,

Don't have any Apple kit so can't verify this.

During research on IPv6 issues with routers I remember reading something about the AirPort having some problems.  Seems the solution in that case was to disable 'Share IPv6 Connection'.

Might be worth a try.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 3 of 17

Found the original article and it's not applicable in this case, the user was in the US and with Comcast.

Found this on A&A support page:

The Airport Extreme claims to support native IPv6 over PPPoE but we don't know of anyone who has it working. It still works via tunnels though.

Looks like it's probably another /64 prefix device like some are having issues with on the forum just now.

I think you may have to search further, Apple support not any good?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 17

Thanks for the quick reply. I have tried playing around with all the auto settings but still don't seem to be having any luck. I have a feeling it must be the /56 /64 prefix problem.

I find the AirPort really solid, and it's a shame if it won't connect.

Does anybody know of any similar products to the AirPorts that can mesh network, preferably over ethernet, but also support BT IPV6?

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 5 of 17

Are BT using IPV6?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 17

Yes
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Does anybody else have any guidance on how to get it to work? Could it just not be compatible? Is this likely something BT would fix from their end? As Apple now seems to have closed its wifi division, I bought the AirPorts will get firmware updates.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 17

If it is the /56 vs /64 problem, the fix lies with Apple not BT. The BT implementation is perfectly legitimate.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 17

Ah, doesn't sound too promising then.

I have found a page (link below) that shows some manual settings for the AirPort. Does anybody know what these figures would be for BT? Or is it not worth trying as BT don't use static?

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/02/airport-extreme-update-breaks-ipv6-tunnels-but-heres-how-to-fix...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

That's a very old article and it describes settings for tunneling rather than native IPv6 in any case.

0 Ratings