cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Expert
Message 11 of 17

Re: IPV6 Apple Airport

To be more precise in my question are BT using IPV6 across all of their network? There is no phased roll out?
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 17

Ok thanks. So long and short, looks like because the AirPort doesn't auto-detect /56, it's not going to play ball with BT IPV6? The only way this will be resolved is if Apple release a firmware. And going on the fact they're closing their wifi division, the changes of that are very slim!

I wonder if the new Google Wifi will support IPV6. I know the OnHub doesn't.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 17

@stevebrass wrote:
To be more precise in my question are BT using IPV6 across all of their network? There is no phased roll out?

Yes, the rollout of IPv6 is complete as far as I'm aware. However, the necessary firmware to implement it hasn't been pushed out to HH5s and HH4s yet. Only HH6s are fully capable.

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 14 of 17

@licquorice wrote:
Only HH6s are fully capable.

Not a sentence I ever expected to see come from you - or anyone who's used one!

(Yes, I know you just mean in the context of IPv6 implementation.)

p

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 15 of 17

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 16 of 17

After a bit of fiddling - my setup - Airport Extreme via HG612 gets 17/20 on IPV6 Test.

The main point it that it using 6 to 4 tunnelling to connect.

The AE shows an (uneditable) prefix of 48.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 17 of 17

@stevebrass wrote:

After a bit of fiddling - my setup - Airport Extreme via HG612 gets 17/20 on IPV6 Test.

The main point it that it using 6 to 4 tunnelling to connect.

The AE shows an (uneditable) prefix of 48. 

When using IPv6 tunneling the /48 IPv6 prefix makes sense, as does the fact you can't edit it.

When using 6to4 tunneling the prefix is comprised the 16-bit IPv6 prefix 2002::/16, with the 32-bit IPv4 IP address in with the 'hexadecimal' appended. See the section Address block allocation in the Wikipedia 6to4 page for background.

If the router reconnects and gets a different IPv4 address then the IPv6 prefix will also change.

Regards

0 Ratings