cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

IPv4 No connection, and other issues

While connected to my new BT Hub 2 smart router I get absolutely no internet through IPv4. I can connect to Google and other websites that run off IPv6 but nothing else. This happens on my laptop, PC and phone but on an older Mac it works almost fine.

I've tried changing my DNS settings to Google's and OpenDNS with no success, and flushed all old settings.

What's even stranger is that even after forgetting all old router names and addresses, when connected via Ethernet into the new router, my laptop and PC recognise it as my old BT Hub 3 name. 

This has led me to the conclusion that this is not an issue with my hardware, but with something on BT's end.

Is there anything I can do to alleviate the situation?

Thanks in advance 

Tags (2)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: IPv4 No connection, and other issues

Are you connecting directly via ethernet or via powerline extenders?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

I have tried via both. Plugged directly into the new router recognises it as the one I had 6 months ago, along with no IPv4

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

What exactly do you mean by 'recognises it as the one I had 6 months ago' how is it recognising it?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

After spending some time 'Identifying' the source of the ethernet cable, it calls it BTHub3-JNJ7, which was the name of my old router, whereas my current one is recognised over WiFi as BT-TNAF6C.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Might be worth trying a factory reset of the powerline adaptors.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

No change sadly 😕

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

I know this is an old topic, but I'm experiencing the same issue. Was this ever resolved?

Just started with BT last week, installed by an engineer. 1 week in, I started experiencing this odd issue. I am not generating a public IPv4 address. I can access google, yahoo, and a few other sites that utilize IPv6, but no response from most other websites (including BT.com). 

If I connect direct with ethernet to the BT Hub, I sometimes get everything to work properly. However, 3rd party devices all fail to generate IPv4 addresses. For example, I plug in an additional (my own) wifi router to the Hub with long-distance wifi antenna to get better coverage in my house. This device worked perfectly last week with Virgin Media, before I switched to BT.  Devices connected to that 3rd party wifi router get no IPv4 and therefore, no access to most websites.

In addition, I have a VoIP phone that when connected directly via ethernet cable to the BT Hub, fails to connect. This also worked perfectly last week with my Virgin Hub. I believe this connection issue could also be due to problems connecting to its services due to no IPv4.

Let me know if you were able to resolve this! Thank you 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

I suspect your devices are retaining their old IP addresses from when they were connected to Virgin

Type ipconfig/release and then ipconfig/renew in a command prompt to renew DHCP leased address

0 Ratings