Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

IPv6 Deployment Information

Hi,

Does anyone have any information on BT's IPv6 rollout?  Do they have a rollout status page or similar like they did for fibre?

They said IPv6 would be rolled out to 50% of the network by April and 100% by December.  I've yet to see anyone on IPv6 so presumably they have missed the April target?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: IPv6 Deployment Information

This was last post about IPv6. I don't remember seeing the 50% by April but they expected rollout by end of 2016. Not seen any update yet. https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/BT-IPv6-Rollout-Subnet-Size/m-p/1599428#M20...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 18

IPV 6 is being trialled in some areas and the last I heard it was expected to be fully operational by the end of 2016
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 18

I'm interested to see how many problems start appearing in these forums because IPv6 gets enabled on the Home Hubs, and then a user's PC, tablet, browser etc., uses IPv6 in preference over IPv4 for common sites such Facebook, YouTube etc.

I wonder how many users will have the Happy Eyeballs the IETF hoped for?

Regards

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

Thanks for the replys - it seems they are keeping the rollout quite quiet.

They told the UK IPv6 Council that they would be 50% done by April - there is a slide here:

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/09/uk-isp-bt-to-deploy-ipv6-to-entire-network-by-december-...

We've run a pretty large IPv6 network at work for the last 6 years - about 75% has IPv4 turned off now.  No problems accessing websites etc (we use an IPv6 proxy to allow IPv6 only workstations to acces IPv4 sites), even the 1000's of devices on our wireless network (tablets, phones etc) have no problems running dual stack.

IPv6 should be pretty painless these days...the internet is ready.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 18

Those timeframes are a very optimisitic compared to the BT spokesperson in the ISP Review story who stated "we would aim to enable the network for IPv6 during the 2016/17 financial year. We expect customers with a Home Hub 5 will be able to take advantage of this soon afterwards".

So it'll be enabled anytime up to March 2017 with HH5 using it from April 2017 onwards Smiley Sad

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 18

My hub rebooted a few days ago and I'm now on IPv6.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

been on IPV6 for about a week then a sudden reboot and IPV6 is off again
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 18

Which Hub version (if at all) do you have? Does it matter?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 18

I got IPv6 as soon as I got the Home Hub 6, and I havnt lost it after reboots

0 Ratings