Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobfromselby
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 36

IPv6 Global Address on BT Home Hub 5

Go to solution

Hi,

I currently have a BT Home Hub 5 and I would like an IPv6 global address.

As far as I can tell from reading online, the IPv6 network is fully deployed and it should be working on the Home Hub 5 by "early 2017". I can see that some people have got it working but some not.

I have spoken to BT on live chat and I don't think they fully understood IPv6. They suggested I use the pay-for tech experts telephone service. I shouldn't have to pay for extra tech support just for IPv6.

How do I get it working on my Home Hub 5?

I have heard that it is simply the router firmware holding it back, and if I were to purchase a third-party router (Eg: NetGear), it would work. Can anybody confirm this?

My HH5 already has IPv6 working internally (local link), but I do not have a global IPv6 address.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 36

Re: IPv6 Global Address on BT Home Hub 5

Go to solution

At the moment the Hub 5 doesn't do IPv6, it wasn't included in the list of fixes for the latest firmware.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/Home-Hub-5A-Firmware-Update/td-p/1760300

Asus, Billion, DrayTek, FritzBox and TP-Link all do IPv6 fine,  (TP-Link - some models will need a firmware update to work correctly with IPv6).  Netgear don't and apparently they aren't interested in fixing it, so best avoided.

The help line script readers haven't a clue about IPV6, it's not apparently in their list of answers.

0 Ratings
bobfromselby
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 36

Go to solution

Thanks for the information, much more helpful than everywhere else!

I am from the York area (inside ring road) connected to the York Stonebow Exchange. Is this part of the new BT IPv6 network or is it still part of the legacy IPv4-only network?

Thanks

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 36

Go to solution

Sorry, no idea about IPv6 issues in York area.  BT did have some issues in places, but I think they have it sorted as the complaints about it coming and going seem to have stopped.

0 Ratings
bobfromselby
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 36

Go to solution

Ok, I see.

I just had this dialogue on Twitter @BTCare chat:

@bobfromselby: I am currently working with IPv6 so I really do need it now. If I were to purchase a third-party router (Eg: NetGear), would it work right now? I am based in York with BT Inifnity. Is that part of the main network or legacy network? 

@BTCare: Then you are part of the small majority still operating on IPv4. All customers will be eventually moved to IPv6 but we are unable to tell you when this will happen nor can we get this done quicker. ^Chris

They didn't really answer the question, although they did say that I am in the legacy area. They seem to have gone home now anyway, guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow for a reply from them!

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 36

Go to solution

Funny, I thought the 'Legacy network' applied to the older 20CN & IPStream network technology.  Like ADSL MAX.  Might have read it wrong, was a while back I saw the article and can't find it now.

So is your connection ADSL Max, or something else?

0 Ratings
bobfromselby
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 36

Go to solution

I'm not sure about my connection. It's BT Infinity 80mbps.

It is fiber from the exchange to the cabinet at the end of my drive. Inside there is a phone socket with an ADSL port and a phone line port. ADSL into the Home Hub and phone line into the landline phone.

Hopefully this helps.

0 Ratings
Liam_
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 36

Go to solution

Well Infinity sure isn't 'Legacy'.  Wonder if the Twitter chat folks are as well informed as the rest.Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
bobfromselby
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 36

Go to solution

Possibly 🙂

I think they meant legacy as in "IPv4-only". Like you say, I would be surprised if Infinity would be limited to IPv4 only.

It's a shame it's so difficult to get a good technical answer out of BT!

Do you know if the Tech Experts subscription is any good? I have the feeling that it's designed for less-technical people who need help configuring WiFi, cables, etc.

Is there an actual place where I can ask BT a proper technical question about something like IPv6 subnetting or tunneling?

0 Ratings
prinknash
Expert
Message 10 of 36

Go to solution

BT made an official announcement in October 2016 that the rollout of IPv6 had been completed "for all BT broadband lines".

I don't use a Home Hub but my understanding is that the HH4 and HH5 haven't yet been enabled to run with IPv6 - BT's promise of "early 2017" seems to have slipped somewhat - but the Smart Hub/HH6 has been, although I gather IPv6 functionality has disappeared from some HH6s.

IPv6 continues to work fine for me, using a TP-Link VR600.

p

0 Ratings