Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Idtm
Beginner
Message 31 of 36

Re: IPv6 Global Address on BT Home Hub 5

Go to solution

Might be a long shot but in your ipv6 settings tab - what are the options in the drop down for connection type? I think I had to select PPPOE or something there as well. 

0 Ratings
bobfromselby
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 36

Go to solution
Hi, PPPoE is selected. I am going to SSH into my router and try those things suggested, having to hold off at the moment due to WiFi issues. Everybody in the house is complaining at the moment! Thanks
0 Ratings
bobfromselby
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 36

Go to solution

Hi,

Sorry for my absense over the past 2 weeks, was extremely busy with other things.

Anyway, IPv6 has randomly started working. Yep, I went to my website one day and saw that I was connecting over IPv6! I thought I was dreaming. I didn't change anything, it just worked!

No idea why, but I am not complaining.

Perhaps BTs usual phrase: "wait for the connection to stabilise" isn't so false after all!

Thanks for all your help!

0 Ratings
EastExpert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 36

Go to solution

@bobfromselbywrote:

Hi,

Anyway, IPv6 has randomly started working. Yep, I went to my website one day and saw that I was connecting over IPv6! I thought I was dreaming. I didn't change anything, it just worked!

I might have an idea why "IPv6 randomly appears."

I was messing with my home network topology, router position and orientation, to get the last few Mbit/sec of speed out of the same router. It required a few reboots.

I had paid attention to IPv6 addresses presence or absence before. 

This time I have noticed that IPv6 global unicast address, which was present quite a long time, is no longer there after my last reboot, even though no settings changed on the hub.

BUT MY IPv4 ADDRESS CHANGED.

The new address is 86.141.27.19x -- no global IPv6 address was given.
Before that, the address was 5.x.x.x -- and the global IPv6 address was there back then.

Now, what is different?

• DSLAM or VDSL equipment (in the cabinet) remains the same.
  • BT Fibre Backhaul router (in the BT Exchange) remains the same.
  • However, different routing through core BT network. And hence a different set of IP addresses assigned.

It seems like a steady correlation. To me it makes sense.

1. Either some core or edge BT infrastructure servers are upgraded to include IPv6, and some are not.
    Or
  2. All of them support IPv6, (to me more likely), but there is 
    (A) either a configuration error
    (B) or different firmware version, due to oversight, or deliberate lack of upgrades owed to some operational reason.

I think I'm gonna write to BT, and see if this request gets anywhere at all.

Cheers
Maximilian
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 36

Go to solution

@EastExpert wrote:

I think I'm gonna write to BT, and see if this request gets anywhere.

I think I already know the answer to that one!!

0 Ratings
drguiom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 36

Go to solution

Hi,

I have a USG pro 4 and cant get IPv6 to work. Any chance you could share the relevant config or what you had to do to get it to work ?

many thanks

0 Ratings