cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

IPv6 Setup on Netgear D7000

Hi, I recently switched from the BT Smart Hub to a netgear D7000 and need some help setting up the IPv6 settings. On the netgear control panel there is a drop down menu with several options and I am unsure on which to choose.

They are:

auto detect, auto config, 6to4 tunnel, passthrough, fixed, dhcp and PPPoE

I tried auto detect and it chose 6to4 tunnel however test-ipv6.com says this is not a recommended. Also alot of options require login and passwords so if anyone knows which option is best and the details please let me know. 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Expert
Message 2 of 13

Re: IPv6 Setup on Netgear D7000

Hi,

I would try the DHCP option.  Page 85/86 in the manual seem to indicate the router will sort out the prefix automatically.  If it works as it says then Netgear scores a point.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

thanks for the suggestion but that doesnt seem to work, when i select DHCP under Router's IPv6 Address On WAN it says unavailable and same for LAN and ipv6-test.com does not detect ...

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 13

@Suffy1570 wrote:

thanks for the suggestion but that doesnt seem to work, when i select DHCP under Router's IPv6 Address On WAN it says unavailable and same for LAN and ipv6-test.com does not detect ...

The Internet connection type needs to be PPPoE and then there needs to be an option to select DHCPv6-PD (Prefix Delegation) with a prefix length of /56. For the LAN side the 'Auto Configu' would seem the correct setting.

Did you disconnect and reconnect the WAN interface once you configured it? The addresses are requested and assigned when the WAN connection is established.

Regards

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Hi smf22,

when I select PPPoE I get 3 boxes, login, password and service name. what do I enter in these and there is no option to select DHCPv6-PD.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 13

This would be the same as for the IPv4 setup, but basically the username is anything@btbroadband.com, where anything can be literally anything, and the password can be blank, but if your router requires something then type 'BT'.

As far as the service name, try leaving this blank as the user guide I've found says "Often, a service name is not required."

Regards

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 7 of 13

I'd have thought the initial IPv4 connection would have set up PPPoE already.

With the Fritz being setup for Infinity here a couple of years before BT began the v6 roll out all I had to do was enable IPv6 January this year and leave it till the line was enabled and it sorted things out on it's own.

Anyway did PPPoE get it working?

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

sadly not, I changed to PPPoE and put in the username and password but even after restarting the router it still says not available under Router's IPv6 Address On WAN

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 9 of 13

I wonder if Netgear are in the same boat as TP-Link and Linksys and don't support DHCPv6 /56 prefix delegation.  I may be wrong but it's looking that way.

I had assumed it would, going by the info in the manual, for example:

Router’s IPv6 Address On WAN. This field shows the IPv6 address that is acquired for the modem router’s

WAN (or Internet) interface. The number after the slash (/) is the length of the prefix, which is also indicated by the underline (_) under the IPv6 address.

Oddly enough I sent a query to Netgear at 3:49 this afternoon for the D7000.  About whether it had support for the way UK ISPs and specifically BT did IPv6.  Waiting on reply.

0 Ratings
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 13

Is there any logging on the Netgear? Can you check if there's anything PPP related and post here?